Thread: copy monitor duct accessories. WHY NOT

Login to Give a bone

Default copy monitor duct accessories. WHY NOT

in the world I live in a lot of our duct accessories and pipe accessories get connected to wires. pumps, valves etc.The electrical engineers need to keep track of all of these. Is there any good reason, WHATSOEVER, that these can't be copy-monitored?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: copy monitor duct accessories. WHY NOT

My main question is why do you need to Copy/Monitor it? Are the MEP services not all in the same model?

Login to Give a bone

For us each trade has a seperate model and we all link in the other trades. So if something moved you might not be aware of it. Seems to me though any change major enough to effect the electrical engineer would be brought up to the whole team.

Login to Give a bone

No, are services are not in the same model. It's a huge model and because of slow performance we had to split into ventilation, plumbing, heating/cooling and sprinkler. Then the electrical engineers have their model...
    I an ideal world we'd all communicate the changes we make to the team, both big and small. But things happen, we get busy, and next thing you know...
    Anyway, it just seems weird that you can't C/M these. Why would lighting fixtures and air terminals be worthy of the C/M functionality, but not vent./pipe accessories that have electrical connections?

This is all academic now anyway. I'm just going to use solibri to compare models and get the info I'm after. Way less hassle than having thousands of C/M messages plaguing me every time I open the model...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds like a job for worksets, provided people remember to put the various bits and pieces on the correct one.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    provided people remember to put the various bits and pieces on the correct one.
    Speaking from experience here, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I can barely get people to use phases properly. Including the architects who've been using Revit for almost a decade.

Login to Give a bone

This is an issue that can be handled on the setup end when creating your families. We include a shared parameter in our MP families that contains the text "ELEC" if there is an electrical connection. It's a one time entry when you create the family. Then in our power plans we turn on all MP categories and use a filter to hide any elements for which the shared parameter does not contain "ELEC". Now we have visible anything that needs power. We do the same thing for MP content that connects to the building automation system. Super easy and when something moves in the MP models it moves in our electrical model. Of course the power connection in the electrical model doesn't move but it's pretty easy to update that piece manually.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by neightyeight View Post
    This is an issue that can be handled on the setup end when creating your families. We include a shared parameter in our MP families that contains the text "ELEC" if there is an electrical connection. It's a one time entry when you create the family. Then in our power plans we turn on all MP categories and use a filter to hide any elements for which the shared parameter does not contain "ELEC". Now we have visible anything that needs power. We do the same thing for MP content that connects to the building automation system. Super easy and when something moves in the MP models it moves in our electrical model. Of course the power connection in the electrical model doesn't move but it's pretty easy to update that piece manually.
    I would second this option. We do the same thing but use a Yes/No parameter named "Requires Electrical" so that anyone placing content can check the box if it needs to show thru to the electrical views or leave unchecked if not. This is a shared parameter that is applied in our template as a project parameter so that it will work with any family of whichever category that you choose that is loaded into the model. For split models, I think we have both hosted and un-hosted connector families so that we have the option for it to move w/ a piece of equipment.