Thread: Component gap increase in dragged state?

Login to Give a bone

Default Component gap increase in dragged state?

I am new to Civil 3D and I am stumped as to why my separate components (point number, elevation, and description) have a greater border gap(?) in a dragged state then in its normal state. I see the option to adjust border gaps in the layout tab, but that only seems to apply to the components in a normal state. I've already went through the trouble of figuring out how to change the color of the individual components by clicking on the [...] at the end of the the Contents section and highlighting the text and changing the color in the format tab. This is just blowing my mind that it is so difficult to adjust these (what I believe should be) easy, simple things. My frustration is growing as I've been sitting here for about an hour trying to figure out something so silly, but the gap increase between the text is even more frustrating to me. So, please if anyone could explain to me why this is happening, and how I can resolve it, I would be extremely grateful! Thank you.

P.S. I am also new to these forums and apologize if this is not in the right section. If it isn't I would appreciate direction to the correct forum.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Component gap increase in dragged state?

Never saw the need to modify the border gap, get the impression if the default gap wasn't working for you there may be other issues involved. For someone new to Civil 3D sounds like you're opening a can of worms here.

What was the issue with the default border gap?

Login to Give a bone

It isn't anything wrong so much with the initial border gap in a non dragged state, I just went to a new drawing and made a point and then dragged the label and the gap seemed to stay consistent. For whatever reason though, in the drawing that I'm creating my point label styles in, something odd is happening. I changed the border gaps only slightly, but after reading your post I decided to adjust the border gap back to the original standard point style border gap of 0.02500" which makes there no visible gap between my components. I would like a slight gap, but I could deal with there being none. The annoying thing to, and the reason of this post, is that when I drag the label, all of a sudden the gap between the components increase greatly. Anyone ever have this issue?

Login to Give a bone

It's not the original border gap that I have a problem with. If you were to go into a new drawing and create a point. Then make the text height of 1.000 for each component (the height I want my text to be) the components have hardly any gap whatsoever. But that isn't even my issue. It's mostly that if you now make the dragged state text height to be 1.000 as well, and you drag the label away from the point, the gap between each component becomes much greater then when in the original state.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgorm689800 View Post
    It isn't anything wrong so much with the initial border gap in a non dragged state, I just went to a new drawing and made a point and then dragged the label and the gap seemed to stay consistent. For whatever reason though, in the drawing that I'm creating my point label styles in, something odd is happening.
    Good to hear there's no problem with the new drawing. It means the problem Label Style is only in one drawing. I'd delete the problem Label Style, then copy the Label Style from a drawing without those issues.
    Many ways to do it, but this is the way I use:
    With both drawings open from the Ribbon View tab select Tile Horizontally.
    With the drawing you want to copy the style from current drag the Label Style from the Settings tab in Toolspace and drop it on the drawing you want to copy the style to.

Login to Give a bone

Is your "Dragged State" set to "Stacked Text" or "As Composed"?