Thread: Anyone a member of ADDA?

Login to Give a bone

Question Anyone a member of ADDA?

Hi All -

Not sure if there is a better forum for this question - if so, mods please move!

Currently looking at the American Design Drafting Association's website, stumbled across it today http://www.adda.org.

Is anyone a member of this association? Is this a beneficial group to join, either from a Management perspective to help find resources for guiding users, or from a Designer perspective to strengthen one's career?

I'm debating joining myself, as well as using the certification and training processes with some of my users. I like that it is described as a group of design professionals, not necessarily tied to a software package such as AutoCAD. My goal is to launch a campaign in our group of refreshing and reinforcing fundamentals, technique, and theory - "back to basics", to remember that AutoCAD is a tool and doesn't replace skill.

And if not the ADDA, are their any other resources or groups out there that you'd recommend as either beneficial to managing designs / engineers, or working as a designer / engineer, in terms of design drawing quality and technique?

Thanks!
    Albert

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Anyone a member of ADDA?

I was a student member in 1990 - student membership came as part and parcel of my drafting education program but I couldn't afford the annual renewal - as the saying goes I couldn't afford to pay attention back then. I remember being really sad that I couldn't afford the dues. I still have my membership certificate. I am going to go ahead and re-join as it's well within my budget nowadays, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I don't know that it will do anything for me as far as guidance or career strengthening, but in my mind it's worth joining to demonstrate my deeper involvement in and commitment to the field in general.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Annette L T View Post
    I was a student member in 1990 - student membership came as part and parcel of my drafting education program but I couldn't afford the annual renewal - as the saying goes I couldn't afford to pay attention back then. I remember being really sad that I couldn't afford the dues. I still have my membership certificate. I am going to go ahead and re-join as it's well within my budget nowadays, so thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I don't know that it will do anything for me as far as guidance or career strengthening, but in my mind it's worth joining to demonstrate my deeper involvement in and commitment to the field in general.
    Thanks Annette!

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

While I've never been a member myself, I seriously considered joining several years ago. Members of the organization seem to think it's worthwhile. That being stated, it's worthwhile only as much as you are willing to put your professional/personal pride into it.

So if you take pride in your drafting skills and want validation or improvement in how you do things, it's great. But if drafting is just the means by which design is accomplished (or a paycheck crosses your desk) then the certification likely isn't for you.

Ultimately I decided not to join. Not because I don't enjoy drafting, I always loved doing it. But I'm recognized enough for my skills and take great pride in them. The ADDA wasn't going to add enough for me, personally and emotionally, to pay the money to be a member. But I can certainly understand why a person would do it, depending on what drives you personally, emotionally, and professionally.

Login to Give a bone

I was cleaning out my desk here in the Man Cave and found my old membership to it from 20(+-) years ago. I let it all elapse after the first year, back then it was more board drafting and geared for mechanical drafting more than civil or mapping which I did/do.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I was a student member, too, in the late 90's.
    I'm a big fan of being involved in professional groups. But, I'll admit I haven't done as much drafting as I have PM and SysAdmin, so, it wouldn't typically occur to me to join up.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

I was many years ago simply because the place I worked at wanted to show off credentials in order to win clients.