Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006LT on Windows7?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2006LT on Windows7?

I just got a computer that has Windows 7 and I want to install AutoCAD LT 2006. The pop-up window says the program is not compatible with this version of windows, and the computer just sits there and spins. Do you know if I can use the two together? Do I have to buy AutoCAD again?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2006LT on Windows7?

Quote Originally Posted by mintzengr548172 View Post
    I just got a computer that has Windows 7 and I want to install AutoCAD LT 2006. The pop-up window says the program is not compatible with this version of windows, and the computer just sits there and spins. Do you know if I can use the two together? Do I have to buy AutoCAD again?
    Welcome to AUGI.

Too bad you didn't get a new computer with Win8.1 (or did you, and you've just not installed it yet?)... Because Win8.1 comes with Client Hyper-V, which allows you to create and manage virtual machines natively, where you *could* install WinXP on a VM, and then subsequently install 2006 on that instead.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Any recent computer is almost certainly 64-bit capabable and is likely to be running a 64-bit version of Win_7.
    Your acad LT is almost certainly 32-bit.
    It MAY be possible to make it install and it MAY work okay but running (32-bit) WinXP in any of the available "Virtual Machine" products is a better bet.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox View Post
    .... Because Win8.1 comes with Client Hyper-V, which allows you to create and manage virtual machines natively, where you *could* install WinXP on a VM, and then subsequently install 2006 on that instead.
    Is that different than "XP Mode" running in a VM on Win 7?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    Is that different than "XP Mode" running in a VM on Win 7?
    I've never actually done that, so am unsure... As for my comment, I meant to actually install a valid license of WinXP (from their old box? They still own it) onto VM's bootable .VHDx

Perusing the link, it comes off more like a 'parallels' for Windows, just relegated to WinXP (instead of any Mac\Win OS you want).

[Edit] - XP Mode seems to be a feature limited precursor to Client Hyper-V as well.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I've never actually done that, so am unsure... As for my comment, I meant to actually install a valid license of WinXP (from their old box? They still own it) onto VM's bootable .VHDx

Perusing the link, it comes off more like a 'parallels' for Windows, just relegated to WinXP (instead of any Mac\Win OS you want).

[Edit] - XP Mode seems to be a feature limited precursor to Client Hyper-V as well.

Cheers

well, not according to the Microsoft license agreement. The license goes with the old machine, and can't simply be installed on a different box. even if the old box is being scrapped or converted to Limux. Your thinking makes perfect sense to a user, but not to a vendor of OS software

(if the old licenses was a shrinkwrap full retail package, then yes, it could probably be installed - but not a OEM version.

Getting back to the OP -- Try installing the free-to-use-for-any-purpose Draftsight program. If you're using 2006 LT, then the current version of Draftsight is probably going to be a step forward.
    Last edited by cadtag; 2015-02-02 at 06:17 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    well, not according to the Microsoft license agreement. The license goes with the old machine, and can't simply be installed on a different box. even if the old box is being scrapped or converted to Limux. Your thinking makes perfect sense to a user, but not to a vendor of OS software

(if the old licenses was a shrinkwrap full retail package, then yes, it could probably be installed - but not a OEM version.
    This is a good point to clarify.

Any machine that you order that comes with non-transferable OS (aka OEM) has the product key injected into ROM on the machine's motherboard, and has no sticker from which to identify the product key being used. All machines in this office (I cannot comment for others') that include a sticker with the Win7/8.1 product keys are transferable under the terms of our VLSC, even if purchased through Dell (which all but those we upgraded were).

Also worthy of note, is that Win10 is a free upgrade to any non-Enterprise Win7/8.1 license, so as to increase the adoption, and avoid the issue with Win8 (8.1 has been a fantastic upgrade from Win7, BTW).

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

(8.1 has been a fantastic upgrade from Win7, BTW).
    In what ways?
    I really dislike Win8.1, especially compared to Win7.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    In what ways?
    I really dislike Win8.1, especially compared to Win7.
    That's a loaded question, as I manage our IT as well as work in CAD; perhaps you could clarify what you dislike, and I can attempt to offer workarounds?

Client Hyper-V has been the single best improvement for my work, both managing our infrastructure (not just RDP), and for sandboxing Win10 TP, Autodesk Betas, etc., but admittedly, not everyone will have the need for that.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: 2006LT on Windows7?

perhaps you could clarify what you dislike, and I can attempt to offer workarounds?
    I admittedly do not use it frequently, but first off I have no need for any "touch" capability, so all that functionality is a waste. Secondly, I just do not get the whole interface with the squares.
    Windows_8_Start_Screen.png
    What is the point in that? All I really need is the standard taskbar with my 5 or 6 most used program icons. Yes, I know I can "switch over" to the now "old" normal desktop look, but I swear I hit the wrong key about every 5 minutes and BAM, I'm looking at squares again... #frustrating

I am truly open to new things, but if it's not clearly intuitive, then it's not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast