Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viewer for 3dmodel

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

A client wants to view the revit 3dmodel on his computer.
    only Looking no touching

I told him he could download a demo version of the program, but he thinks its to difficult to move arround in it.

So is there a program/viewer that can display an exported revit model?

All AUGI, all the time Arnel Aguel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Viewer for 3dmodel

I don't think that we have an an interactive viewer for Revit at the moment.

Perhaps this will help, why not set-up different 3d views (shaded or rendered) then "file export image" as jpeg for each 3d view.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Arnel,

We offerd him different jpeg's / PDF's / plots ...
    But he keeps asking for a solution so he can look at the model himself

I thought there where possibilities with a dwg export?

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Nic,
    If you have the time (and the client is willing to pay the freight!) you might try doing a walkthrough or 'fly by' animation that gives the client the aerial tour. You can export to avi format and then they can view, and pause, the movie at any time. Ask them what they want to see and arrange your camera angles to suit. It's a canned presentation but I believe, other than, the only option is Revit in demo mode and about fifteen minutes of instruction or a good cheat sheet the client can take with them.

Login to Give a bone

You can also create Panoramic renderings (*.PAN) files that your client can view with a browser plug-in.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Nic,

Revit is so easy to move around in I am surprised that your client considers it so difficult. Is he using a mouse without a scroll button? Does he know about hitting F8 to bring up the dynamic zoom box?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bclarch
    Nic,

Revit is so easy to move around in I am surprised that your client considers it so difficult. Is he using a mouse without a scroll button? Does he know about hitting F8 to bring up the dynamic zoom box?
    I did mention him about the demo version and his exact reply was: "yeah,next you gonna ask me to do your job, or what!!??" but then in dutch.
    So the more I think about it, it isen't allways a good ID to mention the demo version and you have to supply the original .rvt file to your client.

A real nightmare to have a client poke arround in the file, I know he can't save but he can make screencaptures.... (been there dun that)

All I want is an export to a file, send that file to client and a link for a free viewer.
    Well gonna cal him ans say "no can do" notting bad about that.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Nic,

Dont know if you have come across NAvisworks before.
    This programme can take various file formats (not RVT yet) and is a good 3d viewer. I think its quite expensive but there is a free viewer for your clients. THe solution would be to export the Revit model to a 3d dwg file.

http://www.navisworks.com

May be worth a look

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bclarch
    So the more I think about it, it isen't allways a good ID to mention the demo version and you have to supply the original .rvt file to your client.

A real nightmare to have a client poke arround in the file, I know he can't save but he can make screencaptures.... (been there dun that)

All I want is an export to a file, send that file to client and a link for a free viewer.
    Well gonna cal him ans say "no can do" notting bad about that.
    I'd definitely go for "no, sorry, there is no such thing, nothing I can do about it"

as you say you dont want clients poking around your drawings. I read something in BD magazine about this recently, where a client was altering autocad drawings and sending them back. From what I read I dont think it is a path you want to start to go down. (although your guy couldnt alter them!)

I have been looking at some mechanical engineering AEC magazines we get delivered, and there is that 3D model printing - Rapid Prototyping, or laser sintering - you can get done now for mechanical parts etc.... dont know if it is possible or how much it would cost, and I dont know if it has been used for buildings at all yet??? But it is aimed at producing disposable real world 3D models very cheaply, it would be really good to get that type of thing done for a model of you buildings, imagine handing the client a 3D "print" of his building!!

Login to Give a bone

Brilliant idea Martin. I think it is expensive at present but already prices are falling.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast