Thread: Tube sizes missing in Revit 2014

Login to Give a bone

Default Tube sizes missing in Revit 2014

Does anyone know why there are no HSS 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 in Revit?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tube sizes missing in Revit 2014

You can always edit the text file with notepad that is with the family to add missing shapes or add new shapes.
    you need to follow the same format for parameters but this should be easy after you open the text file.

Login to Give a bone

If you are going to add to the type catalog I would recommend opening the file in Excel as a Comma Separated Value open of the text file. Add whatever you want, save the file still as a CSV than in Windows rename the file to .txt extension. It does appear the HSS 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 was missed. No idea why.

Login to Give a bone

this shape was not in some of the older editions of AISC steel book tables is my guess why? the person that did input for the Revit type catalog must have had older book. If someone does not check and correct this then, it will still be missing in the next release of Revit.
    Autodesk did release updated AISC 14.1 structural families from Autodesk Subscription website , that has this section shape, but Revit 2015 standard structural families does not. One problem is in the old table both square and rect. shape are same family in same table, with AISC 14.1 families we now have two families one for square and one for rect. shapes. So now we could in same model have hss hollow structural section family (old) and the hss rectangular family (new). this also applies to all of the new AISC 14.1 updated families all new and added family names for the same shapes. Not that this a big issue but could be a bit of a problem if you hate have multiple families for the same section. hopefully someone will make a add-on to convert the shapes to the new family names. if you are mapping families to export to another program you will have double the work.
    Last edited by dmahan; 2015-02-09 at 08:16 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmahan View Post
    this shape was not in some of the older editions of AISC steel book tables is my guess why? the person that did input for the Revit type catalog must have had older book. If someone does not check and correct this then, it will still be missing in the next release of Revit.
    Autodesk did release updated AISC 14.1 structural families from Autodesk Subscription website , that has this section shape, but Revit 2015 standard structural families does not. One problem is in the old table both square and rect. shape are same family in same table, with AISC 14.1 families we now have two families one for square and one for rect. shapes. So now we could in same model have hss hollow structural section family (old) and the hss rectangular family (new). this also applies to all of the new AISC 14.1 updated families all new and added family names for the same shapes. Not that this a big issue but could be a bit of a problem if you hate have multiple families for the same section. hopefully someone will make a add-on to convert the shapes to the new family names. if you are mapping families to export to another program you will have double the work.
    I looked in a steel book from 1989 and that shape was in there. So, I doubt this was the case. Simple error would be more likely.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, I am showing my age now, go back to 7th and 8th Aisc editions and see if you can find this section shape. If you go back even a bit more for fun the 5th edition (1962 printing) you can find a table named "Recommended live loads for storage warehouse" the listing of weights for storage of buffalo hides in bundles which for the record is 296 psf. I miss this it was removed or modified in the 6th edition (1963 printing).
    My first steel book was 7th edition (1970) but would tease my older engineers about designing warehouses for storage of buffalo hides.
    Last edited by dmahan; 2015-02-11 at 02:38 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Well technically speaking those would have been TS members then and not HSS members. From my understanding the sizes are about the same, but some of the criteria has changed from TS to HSS.
    But I would tend to agree that it might just have been missed, but I'm kind of doubting that as well.
    I'd guess that they didn't hand enter any of that info, they pulled the excel file from AISC and used it.
    Just look at the W21 sections. I could never fund W21x48's. Not a real common shape in my opinion, but it's out of order. But it is in order per the book.
    Just a thought.