Thread: Import Revit Project to AutoCAD MEP

Login to Give a bone

Default Import Revit Project to AutoCAD MEP

I'm new to Revit and ACAD MEP. However, I'm a long time Plant Design user. I have a Revit project from a client and I'm looking for the best way to get it into ACAD MEP and have usable files.

I do have Revit so I can do the VERY basic but have some training in ACAD MEP which is why I want to work with it ACAD MEP. The issue is that it's a very large building that is several floors high and I only want to see one floor but the Revit file has all the floors. The Revit project has all each floor broken down into a single drawing but they're not 3D and I need them in 3D. Thanks for the help in advance!

I'm using AutoCAD MEP 2015 Revit 2015

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Import Revit Project to AutoCAD MEP

Export the Revit file from a 3D view. Revit only does 2D exports from any "Plan" view. Make sure you check on ACIS solids as well on the export. You also have two settings on the coordinate system to export to in the options, "Project Internal" and "Shared". I highly suggest exporting one with each setting for coordinates and start with the one closest to 0,0,0, unless you need to conform to what the designers are doing, you'll need to coordinate what the proper setting is before starting.

Typically what I end up doing, doing this same exact practice is to either slice the building up by floor (in 3D views) in Revit, or I export the entire model and "SLICE" it in AutoCAD at the Finish Floor Heights. Then you can have a separate drawing for each floor.

To slice it in Revit, it's a lot more complicated, especially for a novice user. You need to set up the floor view ranges on each floor, then assign a 3D view to use the custom view settings from the previous drawing you created for the elevation settings to be correct. If you're not very familiar with Revit sheets/models/ and view orientation, I would HIGHLY suggest exporting to .DWG and slicing the building in ACAD.

(If this isn't working, verify you've selected ACIS instead of Polymesh for solid conversions in the option tab of the export dialog box, and don't forget the UCS Icon in ACAD must have Z facing down the length of the blade when making a hypothetical "slice".)