Thread: Revit door not being cut in project's plan view?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Revit door not being cut in project's plan view?

After more than ten years, Revit got me on my knees!

Attached you’ll find a door family, containing some nested families, that refuses to show up correctly in a project’s plan view. Instead of being cut, it is shown from above. I am aware that Revit tends to use the cut plane height in the originating door family but in this case I don’t think that's causing the trouble. Switching the category from “door” to “generic model” will do the trick - the grayed out visibility setting of the nested families “Show when cut in Plan/RCP” then switches from unchecked to checked - but leaves me with a wrong category.

Can anybody help me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit door not being cut in project's plan view?

Anybody out there?

Meanwhile, some thoughts.

The dozens of family templates with all their different behaviors and options always bothered me a bit. For instance, in the "structural column" template you have an option "Show family pre-cut in plan views". If this option was also available for doors and windows, it would have solved my problem instantly. It really is a pity that useful lines of code that have already been written are available in some structural families only. Why is that?

It would be so great if the dozens of templates would be replaced by just one crisp and clean "super template" where the best of all worlds can meet. After having your category defined, having all options (un)checked and having inserted as many hosts as you want (levels, floors, walls, ref planes, other (custom) families, etc.), you can start constructing your family with a smile. For instance, if you want your brand new family to react with two walls, a floor and an adaptive point, you simply insert/define these elements as hosts in your family file. Once inserted in your project, the family will ask you to select the hosts "et voila"!

Wouldn't that be nice?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Completely confused as to why this is built the way it is. First, the nested family that shows the swing in plan, is built as a floor hosted family? Second, why are things built as generic families and not door families?

Attached is a simplier method that is similar to what you have with nested families. Should work just fine.

Door_01.rfa

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for my late response.

Thanks for your reaction. The floor-based family you mentioned, actually is face-based. That’s because this is the only family (don't know why) that has the ability to cut other elements when nested. In fact the door family contains a solid frame that is cut by the (face-based) door panel. This way it is easy to create (complex) custom layouts.
    Unfortunately the problem still remains. Revit doesn’t cut the nested families the way I was expecting.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can create a host door family, a nested door "frame" family and then finally a door family that is a door category but starts as generic model so that it does not have to be hosted. This way the frame (behaves like a door in a project) can cut the host's wall to properly define the opening and then place the panel in the opening without needing to cut the nested panel. I don't believe you'll get the desired result with your current approach, sorry.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Steve,

Though it feels a bit like a second best solution and it still doesn't make sense, I finally solved this one by replacing all the 3D stuff by detail items in plan view. I really would like Revit to behave in a more consistent and predictable way.