Thread: Wall style Help - Component layers inside a wall type for existing and new

Login to Give a bone

Default Wall style Help - Component layers inside a wall type for existing and new

OK so this is what is happening (see below). The shrinkwrap is around all the materials and seems like it can only on be on one layer. So if it is on the new const. layer and I turn that layer off then the existing wall has no line around the hatch on 3 sides. How can I have this one component (existing mass wall) have it's own shrinkwrap or border on it's own layer? Just now got the file of the wall type to upload. Thanks for any help.WAll Type - Existing w Furring.dwg.

I periodically work with older buildings which will have a masonry mass wall and we will need to add studs and insulation behind it. I use to show this as two wall types - a mass wall on an existing layer and a new furring type on a new construction layer. Having become tired of breaking the furring at windows and doors I created a new wall type based on type "Brick-x" (so I can adjust the width of the masonry). I've been able to do this, however there is a line surrounding the entire wall (which I think is shrinkwrap) that is staying on the existing layer so when I turn off the new layer the outline is still displayed. I tried modifying the shrinkwrap but cannot get it to go away (or even change it to defpoints)

Any help is appreciated.

Can't seem to upload the file even though it's small.
    Last edited by cdoucet; 2015-02-21 at 06:16 PM. Reason: upload file

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall style Help - Component layers inside a wall type for existing and new

The line that surrounds the entire Wall is the Shrink Wrap Component. Your Wall is on an existing Wall layer, and since in your display settings, the Shrink Wrap is not controlled by material, and has most of its attributes set to ByBlock, it will display with the color, etc., of the Wall itself, which ByLayer, and therefore like your existing Wall Layer. The "added" components in your Wall Style all display by material, and the materials all map the components to the A-Wall layer. So I assume that you would like to turn off the display of the Shrink Wrap component, allowing the individual components to show as new or existing.

One way to do this is to create a Style-level display override, and then turn off the Shrink Wrap component in the override (so as to affect only this Wall Style in that way - I assume that for other Wall Styles, you want the Shrink Wrap to display). In the attached file, I only did this for the Plan Display Representation, which is the active Wall Display Representation in the Medium Display Configuration, for the top view direction. If you use other Display Configurations that make use of other Wall Display Representations, you will need to repeat that for those Display Representations as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wall style Help - Component layers inside a wall type for existing and new

Thanks David. I did finally did get to this point last night after leaving it alone for a while. I get a little confused with display configuring as I was trying to control the shrinkwrap with material display, which I guess is global rather than the display of the wall (clicking the box for the override) which is only for this wall type. Anyway, thanks for your help.