Hello All,

I just have a quick question on what others are implementing when it comes to the use of model groups. Here is a quick breakdown of the situation.

I have a condominium project that has 3 different floor plans grouped together to create 7 different buildings. Some of the floor plans are rotated, others are mirrored. When I first started the project I began modeling each floor plan separately, added the framing and foundation elements since I am just focusing on the structural design for this project. Then I began grouping the floor plans in to their individual units. The next task I started to perform was copying, mirroring and rotating the units and placing them at the locations to begin constructing the individual buildings, it was at this point that I started running into the error message that would force the cancel option or to fix the groups by either ungrouping the instance or renaming it another group. Those options weren't exactly acceptable for me so I began the task of removing the offending items out of the group so that I essentially was left with a shell of the unit that contained just the walls, slab and foundation. The majority of the elements causing the instability were associated with the ootb trusses. Once the buildings were completed I began re-adding the framing elements back into each individual unit group. All the adding back and remodeling of elements that couldn't be worked around was performed on the original unit group, not the ones copied, moved and mirrored into place for the buildings.

What I would like to know is how others out there that have a lot of similar projects under their belts would do with the original unit group? Now that all units are modeled with all the pertinent information and placed in their appropriate location should I keep the original unit group that all the work was performed on to update building attached units or should I go ahead and delete it from the actual model space, not the project browser. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle