Thread: Parametric Cylinders

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Cylinders

This question probably is probably more of a brain freeze on my part, but I am having trouble creating a parametric cylinder/disc. I have created a simple extrusion 18" in diameter and 2" tall. I simply want to apply parameters that adjust the height and diameter. I dimensioned the radius of the circle and created a radius label thinking that I can simply flex that dimension. However, it does not work, saying that I am over constrained. I know I am missing a step somewhere. I seem to remember circular type extrusions requiring me to link parameters in order to flex them. I have searched the web extensively, but pretty much every example deals with square and rectangular shapes that are locked to reference planes.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.0 KB, 58 views)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Cylinders

Try editing the extrusion for the cylinder, then putting your dimension within that. Also I don't think you need to check the "lock" check box, that's probably why you're over constrained.

Hope this helps

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

It appears that you have tried to dimension the geometry, not the underlying linework that controls the geometry. You want to edit the extrusion, apply a radial dimension to the circle that is the basis of the cylindrical extrusion, map that dimension to your parameter and then click the green check box to finish the extrusion. Now the radius of your cylinder can be controlled via the parameter. I usually check the box to show centermark of the circle and lock this to the reference planes so it won't slide in the XY plane. The height of the extrusion can be controlled in various ways, but the standard one is to use reference planes. First, you would dimension and constrain the reference planes. Then lock the extrusion grips to those reference planes.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by neightyeight View Post
    It appears that you have tried to dimension the geometry, not the underlying linework that controls the geometry. You want to edit the extrusion, apply a radial dimension to the circle that is the basis of the cylindrical extrusion, map that dimension to your parameter and then click the green check box to finish the extrusion. Now the radius of your cylinder can be controlled via the parameter. I usually check the box to show centermark of the circle and lock this to the reference planes so it won't slide in the XY plane. The height of the extrusion can be controlled in various ways, but the standard one is to use reference planes. First, you would dimension and constrain the reference planes. Then lock the extrusion grips to those reference planes.
    Thank you so mush for your help. I ended up figuring it out and back back to this thread to provide the answer. I know I had once "parameterized" a circular extrusion, but for the life of me I could not remember how. I normally model square/rectangular shapes in which I use reference planes, so I was thinking that was the method I needed to use.

In any case, this exercise also answered another question of mine... after downloading certain families, why could I not see all of the parameter dimensions when I was in family editor. The answer, they are only visible when you are in sketch mode! Ah ha moment for me.

Thank you for all you help!