See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Workset vs Filter

Login to Give a bone

Default Workset vs Filter

Does any one can define what is the workset and filter Stand for and which is beneficial for an MEP team to control the views
    Some are not using workset for control the views instead they use Filter

When it comes to organzing your model and views, how are people most utilizing these features?

Workset
    =====
    - Worksets are for to share the work with multiple users, Large Projects same system in same view can model by more than one person by using the workset
    - Worksets are to be used for to control the views which the same element/system should see in multiple views

Filters
    ====
    - are for Global control thru view template by Catagorywise or systemwise

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workset vs Filter

Worksets are intended to allow concurrent access to the same model/project file. The visibility control we have over elements assigned to a workset is a collateral benefit, meaning we can take advantage of it but it is not the reason for worksets existing.

An element can only be assigned to one workset, that is a fundamental weakness compared with Filters.

Filters are defined by category(ies) and criteria. One filter can alter the appearance of elements in one view while another Filter can alter the appearance of the same elements in a different view. It is much more flexible. They are defined by criteria that we can control with a greater degree of certainty. Compared with worksets we are relying on users to be careful to always assign elements to the correct workset.

When Filters are combined with View Templates and views are assigned to a View Template we can enforce much more reliable standards for appearance throughout a project. It does take time to configure but once that is done it is much more reliable and flexible than hoping users are assigning elements to the correct workset. That and Filters can be applied differently based on different criteria in different views for different reasons. An element can only be turned on or off based on its workset assignment (unless you also use Filters based on their workset assignment).

Login to Give a bone

Dear Steve,
    Thank you very much for your time... Awesome reply it really helps the user community
    A big salute from Kuwait

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I find Filters both pretty sophisticated and pretty annoying. Worksets are always ready & set, without templates or anything else. And you can select groups of worksets to show or hide. With Filters you have to first pick each one individually to add to the filter (or set up templates) and then, in the filter, pick each one individually, to do anything with. With worksets, it's easier to remove everything but particular workset(s), again, due to (and why the heck can't we) can't select multiple filters. Also you can apply more Revit item-types to worksets. Finally, if you're relating filters to properties drop-down boxes, like Comments, worksets have a controlled list whereas, at least in the case of Comments, it's too easy to add eroneous labels. A Key Schedule solves this for regular objects and even can control views & detail items (but on those views & detail items again introduces uncontrolled labels, which introduces room for error). Plus you can tag model groups to a workset, not so with Key Schedule, even if an item within is on the Key Schedule, so it becomes an opaque attribute if you select the group, making it more difficult to assess and assign. The worksets list is always the same order although granted you have to live with that exact list. (you can see, I'm probably something of a Layers mentality, although I learned CAD on Revit, not ACAD. but I appreciate some of the gripes ex-ACADer's have). Occasionally I force myself to work strictly with Filters. and then regret it. Note: I do not have a crying need to make worksets primarily for inter-office use, so I'm not appreciating that aspect, I just know they are much more convenient than filters in some respects. For me, best solution is combo of both.

So as I look at the templates argument and see that Key Schedules are (almost) a corrective to the drop-down list controlled-label issue, I'm hopeful that Filters can be made just a little more convenient, which would indeed make worksets not necessary - for now, for me - they are.

On a related topic, Selection Filters (v Rules-Based Filters) wouldn't it be nice if when you selected an item (be it an object or detail item or text or line) its properties showed it was part of a selection filter?
    Last edited by narlee; 2015-05-31 at 10:39 AM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve, I don't get this part: "more reliable and flexible than hoping users are assigning elements to the correct workset"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by narlee View Post
    Hi Steve, I don't get this part: "more reliable and flexible than hoping users are assigning elements to the correct workset"
    Filters primary sorting are selected through pre determined model categories on the rvt...those are all set and cannot be changed..so assuming the family that is loaded is assigned to the correct model category you eliminate the issue of people modeling/adding content which is assigned to the wrong workset

when you are in a work sharing environment and various worksets being used it is very easy to find yourself on the wrong workset

this can cause a variety of announces if your views are not set up properly and if you are relying on worksets to control V/G...if its driven by filters you select the model categories and its a lot harder to mess up...in theory

hope that answers your question

edit: reading that all back i realize you are asking that question with different perspective than i had originally though

The filter vs worksets is a losing argument if you ask me..worksets should not be your primary control, filters allow you to be as specific or as vague as you want and is what allows you to control various systems (one example) within the same model category

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by narlee
    Your clipped quote, ignores the preceding sentence: They are defined by criteria that we can control with a greater degree of certainty.

You have no control over what other users do regarding assigning an element to the correct workset. You can only react to what they've done. If you rely on other users (consultant models for example) to assign elements to specific worksets and they don't then you can only ask them to fix it or fix it yourself. Either way you've got a delay that may negatively affect a deadline or progress in general.

Filters take effort and planning too but ultimately they are much more capable, flexible and potentially reliable than the single on/off switch that a workset can provide. I believe that's true because you (someone) can manage the content library, use of parameters, and view templates and views. They can also affect elements in linked models based on criteria you can respond to without altering their model(s).

Naturally, if there is nobody to do this planning/reacting then it won't amount to much either.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2015-06-02 at 11:35 PM.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

thanks guys for the additional perspective. which I am lacking due to the "small user" environment in which I reside. All good points. Still, it would be sweet if multi-line/multi-filter selection could be engineered into the program - for us unsophisticated hayseeds clinging to our base ways!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Best part with filters is that they work on linked files. MEP systems are one that comes to mind.
    Most MEP firms set colors to each system type for say Exhaust, Supply, Return.....
    When linked into an Arch model those colors basically can't be changed without the use of a filter.
    I can create a filter that I can apply to all system elements and set the color to halftone and set the lineweight to something thin so they show up in my plans for coordination.