Thread: Revit Structure Group Editing and Updating Issue

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Structure Group Editing and Updating Issue

Hello all,

I had a weird thing happen this morning and was wondering if anybody else has had this happen to them? I have a condo project that has approximately 3 different types of units that will be part of 7 different buildings. After much research on the best way to handle the project I determined that using groups for the individual units would be the best method to model the actual buildings. I started by just grouping the walls then copied the original group then mirrored, and rotated as necessary to build the buildings all the while leaving the original group in its original location. After the buildings were created and laid out per the site plan I started to add the additional elements such as doors and windows, stairs, framing members, etc. Had many hurdles to jump over while doing this which was made easier because others had cleared similar hurdles and shared their experiences on getting over them.

The one issue I never came across in my research was framing members offsetting there location. What happened is I placed some 2x4 members for a small section of roof framing that bear on top of a beam at one end and a wall ledger at the other end. This was done outside of the group editor mode and at the original model group instance for one of the units. Once they were placed I then went into group editor mode for the original model group of the unit and began adding them into the group. After saving the changes and allowing the changes to populate to the other instances of the unit model group, all of the 2x4 members were offset from their group origin location in the updated unit model groups while the original model group that I have been using to make the changes to the unit remained in the correct location. The only error message I received was about the members not being able to retain the join association to the wall ledger and the beam, to which I was able to ignore. I was able to correct it by going to one of the units model group that has been placed in the actual building location, enter group edit mode and move them over to the correct location, which was about 30'. After saving the changes the other units were updated correctly and it appears that the original model group that I was using for editing was unchanged. Have you had something similar happen? Any thoughts on what would cause this behavior?

Sincerely,

Kyle

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Structure Group Editing and Updating Issue

Hi Kyle,

I have had similar behaviour with EA framing members.
    Do you use the rotational cross section for any members?
    How did you place the members.. via a reference plane or hosting to another member?
    I continually got errors about fixing or creating new groups

I ended up grouping things I could group, and the creating a separate group for the elements which were going haywire

I think that when you start rotating groups, mirroring groups etc. Revit cant handle the "UCS" coordinates, and tries to place them onto the same or similar planes as the original
    I would assume your 2x4 members are on a fall? Maybe for a roof or something similar?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Structure Group Editing and Updating Issue

Hello Jeremy,

I was using the OOTB framing members and they were placed on a reference plane for the slope of the roof. Yeah I was aware that Revit has a problem with the UCS coordinates from the research that I had done prior to the placing of the units in their designated building locations. That is why I used a work flow of having a model of the solo unit, to which I would add or modify as the project progressed and allow it to update the other instances, much like editing a block in ACAD. The only thing I never added was the reference plane to the group since I was unsure of how this would be affected with the rotated and mirrored instances of the units. It also didn't seem necessary since there were multiple slopes for this one roof and the other elements associated with other reference planes weren't experiencing this same glitch. I guess the biggest surprise to me was that the original unit that I was used for editing never got broken or caused an error message when I corrected the framing on the actual buildings.

Kyle