Thread: Importing tags from linked model into room data sheets

Login to Give a bone

Default Importing tags from linked model into room data sheets

We are doing an exercise which involves tagging all the furniture, electrical and mechanical fixtures in our room data sheets. The tagging itself isn't so much a problem I can do this but what I would like to know is if the M&E guys tag their fixtures in their model is it possible to show these tags in my rooms?

It seems to me this is very much a job we as the designer will have to do but m&e have asked the question and if it's possible to get their tags in our rooms it would mean we can concentrate on other things - keeps the responsibility with them also.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing tags from linked model into room data sheets

You can override the appearance of the linked model via Visibility/Graphics and the Revit Links tab. You can specify a view in their model to show instead of just the model elements. There has to be a view that will work though. It is quite likely that in addition to the tags you'll get a lot of other information you may not be as interested in seeing, especially if your views are intended for Room Data Sheets. That also means you've probably cropped down your view to a single room. This means that there has to be an equivalent view available in their model to select. Have a look at those settings and concepts and see it if it will be less work to tag the elements instead. You can use Tag All on the linked elements too FWIW.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    You can override the appearance of the linked model via Visibility/Graphics and the Revit Links tab. You can specify a view in their model to show instead of just the model elements. There has to be a view that will work though. It is quite likely that in addition to the tags you'll get a lot of other information you may not be as interested in seeing, especially if your views are intended for Room Data Sheets. That also means you've probably cropped down your view to a single room. This means that there has to be an equivalent view available in their model to select. Have a look at those settings and concepts and see it if it will be less work to tag the elements instead. You can use Tag All on the linked elements too FWIW.
    Thanks Steve,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about specifying their view instead of model elements. My view template is setup to show pretty much all annotations and most model elements.

I put in bold what I thought might be the issue restricting this from working. They don't have equivalent views (that I'm aware of) in their model, which I thought meant I won't ever see their tags regardless of them tagging fixtures. Is it possible for them to import my views so they can do the tagging and then have them visible in my views?

Login to Give a bone

I just had a quick look at the m&e model and I can actually see the views I made in the architectural model. They might have imported from transferring project standards (view reference types, view templates or viewport types) from the linked arch model into the live m&e model?

I've placed a few tags, saved and reloaded the link in the arch model but the tags aren't visible in my sheets, is it possible to show them?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The attached image describes what I'm referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Steve, thanks again! That works a treat!

I'll have to move away from view templates tough unless I make one for each individual view, not really a problem though

Login to Give a bone

You can still use view templates; just uncheck the V/G Overrides RVT Link item in the view templates, and then you can use Visibility Graphics to control the view of the links while still controlling other items via the view template.

Login to Give a bone

That did the job David! I never thought of unchecking the rvt links from the view templates settings. All sorted this morning, thanks.