Thread: New PCs at work with brand new 2015 C3D Licenses: what can be transferred through export/import and migrated?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default New PCs at work with brand new 2015 C3D Licenses: what can be transferred through export/import and migrated?

Next month, IT is replacing all of our computers with new ones. The new PCs will also have 2015 Civil 3D, whereas our existing PCs have 2013 Civil 3D. The licenses are installed on a network by IT. My five-person department does not use any standardized anything. Each of us uses his/her own profile, workspace, templates, lsp., etc. and we have decided that is what works for us. I will be leading a lunch presentation on how each person will need to change his/her customizations before the hardware/software is changed. I've requested that IT change out my PC and software in advance of the other four users. Because we choose not to standardize and streamline anything, I have asked each user to send me a screen capture of their File < Options with all file paths expanded. This will help me understand if each user is mapping files to non-standard file paths.

Because this is both a software and a hardware change, I don't think I can use the Migrate Custom Settings. Attached is a PDF comparing migrating, transferring, and syncing options. I don't want to sync anything using the cloud. How do I "export/import" each of these items listed in the PDF? Is there anything available, even in 2015 Civil 3D, that can bundle all of the settings into a zip folder? I am running a trial version of 2015 Civil 3D at home. Are there items missing from this PDF that will also need to be configured? I didn't see .arg files on the PDF. Do settings for registry keys need to be preserved when switching out a PC with new software?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New PCs at work with brand new 2015 C3D Licenses: what can be transferred through export/import and migrated?

Just export your profile(s), and backup your CUIX file(s). You'll want to move/copy your custom workspace components to a new 'custom' CUI, as you're not going to want to use an older C3D CUI as main in newer version.

Once you've imported your profile into new version, be sure to account for AutoCAD Security changes, and configure your workspace.

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New PCs at work with brand new 2015 C3D Licenses: what can be transferred through export/import and migrated?

Just as a general comment, and something to consider..... if there is anything that is the same on all of the machines.... maybe the template location or the PC3 file location or the status of some system variables, or the loading of certain lisp files.....

Do yourself and your company a favor and get that stuff on your network and map everyone to these like settings.
    You can still allow for user defined changes, but why make 5 (or 50 or 500?) people re-do the same things over and over when it can be automated?

I manage ±35 C3D machines and 80% of the setup of a new machine is totally automated and happens as soon as the user launches C3D for the first time.
    The rest is stuff the user may want to change (location of palettes, background color, etc.)
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |