Thread: Dynamic Block Attribute and Dimension Excel Export 2014 LT

Login to Give a bone

Default Dynamic Block Attribute and Dimension Excel Export 2014 LT

I am very green with AutoCad 2014 and hoping to create a export function that will send dimensions and certain attributes of different dynamic blocks to an excel spreadsheet. Is this kind of functionality available for us LT users?

To paint a more comprehensive picture of what I am trying to do, I am creating blocks for standard cabinetry units and hope to send common dimensions and attributes to a spreadsheet to aid our production team. Each block I create will contain a "Plan" and "Elevation" visibility state, with depth and width dimensions applied respectively. In addition to dimensions each block will contain a Unit Number and Unit Type attribute. I will be creating many different basic blocks (i.e. Leaf Door, 2 drawer, sink unit) but they will all share the two dimensions and two attributes (depth, width, number, type). The output table might look something like this.

ID Type Width Depth
    1 LD_SH_F 30.375 24.625
    2 DU_O2 15 18
    3 DU_O2 17 18
    4 SU_O 25.5 24.625

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Dynamic Block Attribute and Dimension Excel Export 2014 LT

The command you need is DATAEXTRACTION, I am uncertain if it is in LT.

Login to Give a bone

In LT you should try looking at the ATTEXT command, unfortunately DATAEXTRACTION isn't available in LT. The ATTEXT command only works with blocks that contain at least 1 attribute, but it can at the same time extract other information about the block. It requires the use of a data extraction template file, which is just a text file, the help files give a reasonable description of the format.
    The ATTEXT command exports the information to an external file and you need to import that into excel.

Login to Give a bone

I know this thread is a few months old, but I've just begun experimenting with ATTEXT (I'm an LT user), and have hit a little snag.

I have a template file setup and working for standard blocks, however the majority of blocks I'm working with are dynamic blocks with multiple visibility states. Only one state has the attributes in question but when I run ATTEXT, and select one or multiple dynamic blocks, it returns the "0 records in extract file" message. Does anyone know of a way around this?

I'd be content to lose the ability to switch to other visibility states once I have the blocks inserted and set as I need them, if that helps. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Ian
    ___

Login to Give a bone

Did you add attributes to an existing block, if so you might need to run the attsync command before the attributes are useable. If that isn't the issue then could you post a copy of the block (and the extract template). And just to be clear do you want the attributes to be extracted no matter what the visibility state is, or only when they are visible.