See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: MS Word - TOC with separate docs

Login to Give a bone

Default MS Word - TOC with separate docs

Okay, I could have sworn there was a way to generate a table of contents in Word, by pointing at separate word docs, having their Headings be the text of the TOC entries, and hyperlinked to those documents.

Was I imagining things, or am I just too thick to figure this out?
    I see how to do a TOC from within a single document, but, I was hoping to keep them separate (working on a processes and procedures manual, and there are a dozen different owners for the topics covered).
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2015-03-26 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I forgot my closing paren.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MS Word - TOC with separate docs

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Okay, I could have sworn there was a way to generate a table of contents in Word, by pointing at separate word docs, having their Headings be the text of the TOC entries, and hyperlinked to those documents.

Was I imagining things, or am I just too thick to figure this out?
    I see how to do a TOC from within a single document, but, I was hoping to keep them separate (working on a processes and procedures manual, and there are a dozen different owners for the topics covered).
    So, I never found how to do this, so, maybe I just dreamed it existed.
    Used the single-document method instead, using Headings to automatically generate an index (was hoping to avoid having the different section owners editing the whole document, instead of just their own topics... I guess eternal vigilance is the price I'll pay).
    AUGImswordTOC.JPG
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Looking at my Word 2010 Bible, there's a chapter on Master Documents, which sounds like the first step in what you are trying to do.

to quote that author, the feature is "still seriously broken" and "Use at your own risk".

Apparently the Master Document feature can corrupt the original source files, so be sure and create copies to work from.

You might want to look at either Scribus or Scrivener for complex documents

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Looking at my Word 2010 Bible, there's a chapter on Master Documents, which sounds like the first step in what you are trying to do.

to quote that author, the feature is "still seriously broken" and "Use at your own risk".

Apparently the Master Document feature can corrupt the original source files, so be sure and create copies to work from.

You might want to look at either Scribus or Scrivener for complex documents
    Ahhhh. That's good to know on both counts (that it exists, and that I shouldn't be sad I'm not using it ).

Thanks for the tip on the other tools, I'll keep them in mind for my private work, but, they're not open to new software (unrelated to dept specialties) here.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

You might look into the Master Document feature. HowToGeek has a good write up on it. It appears to be what you are describing.

There is a link at the end of the article regarding corruption. Following that rabbit hole will show additional links and explanations to assist in your decision to use or not use Master Documents in Word.
    Last edited by Opie; 2015-05-04 at 08:55 PM.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    You might look into the Master Document feature. HowToGeek has a good write up on it. It appears to be what you are describing.

There is a link at the end of the article regarding corruption. Following that rabbit hole will show additional links and explanations to assist in your decision to use or not use Master Documents in Word.
    Oh, nice step by step source, thanks Opie.

lol. Rabbit hole indeed. As long as we're still using 2010, I suppose I'll continue on as I've begun. If we upgrade to a newer version of Office, I will revisit.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

I don't write enough in Word to use them, but when I discovered them, it made a lot of sense to use them. It is similar to how I do CAD. One drawing for one purpose, but keep in mind it may be reused for another purpose. Draw accordingly.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Like Melanie I don't use Word that often but have been creating my "Exit Strategy Document" to give whoever replaces me when I retire the heads up on where things are & how everything is structured.
    One way to get around linking separate documents could be to send it to pdf or create a portfolio in Adobe. I Have done some tinkering around in the past & with the portfolio & you can create sections that are different types of documents i.e word , excel.
    Or in the pdf you can create a link to take you to other documents.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    Like Melanie I don't use Word that often but have been creating my "Exit Strategy Document" to give whoever replaces me when I retire the heads up on where things are & how everything is structured.
    One way to get around linking separate documents could be to send it to pdf or create a portfolio in Adobe. I Have done some tinkering around in the past & with the portfolio & you can create sections that are different types of documents i.e word , excel.
    Or in the pdf you can create a link to take you to other documents.
    Yeah, I did the PDF thing with my 'exit strategy document' (lol, I like that phrase, quite apt) when I left my last job. But, here, they want the final submittal to the VP and CAO to be in Word.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor