Thread: Creating a Yes/No parameter for Door Frame material for scheduling

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a Yes/No parameter for Door Frame material for scheduling

I have a door family that has multiple types of doors within it, solid door, full glass, half glass, etc. I want to keep it a generic door in terms of door and frame material and finishes so that I don't have to create a new family for pressed steel frame, aluminum frame, etc.

My question is: Is it possible to take my door family and add a Yes/No parameter (or some other option) and create a list of possible door frame materials so when I insert my basic door, I can then select each door individually and select the door frame material in the Properties window. The important part of this is for my door schedule to be able to populate that particular door with whichever frame material I selected in the properties window.

Ideally I could use the same door family everywhere in the project, then go back and choose which doors have which frame type, then have the door family and door schedule communicate to reflect it. I want to avoid having to create a door family with multiple door types with pressed steel frame, and another family with aluminum frames, and so on...I'd just have to do it manually in the schedule at that point I assume.

Thanks

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a Yes/No parameter for Door Frame material for scheduling

Do you want the material to render? I ask because it would be fairly easy to create a key schedule that is referenced by the door families that have the words of different materials. As such you could indeed have a list of various materials, but your door would still stay whatever generic material you assigned to it for rendering purposes.

Login to Give a bone

No I don't need the material to render. I just want to create a list of the various frame materails in the properties menu of the door so I can place them and populate the door schedule while doing so. Currently I have to place the door, select the door, then type in the frame material that I want to show up in the Frame Material field in the schedule, and repeat that for every door. It would be nice to be able to select the material in the properties before placing, then be able to place multiple doors.

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds like you want that Frame Material to be type based instead of instance...