Thread: What have you found to be the max number of people in a single Revit file for best performance?

Login to Give a bone

Default What have you found to be the max number of people in a single Revit file for best performance?

I have found that once you go over a certain number of people in a single Revit file, the file performance tends to suffer significantly. I have heard that autodesk actually recommends no more than 6 people in a file at a time, but have never found any official documentation to support that.

What is your experience? Your most people in a file at once? Your average number of people in a file? Any information regarding autodesk's recomendations?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What have you found to be the max number of people in a single Revit file for best performance?

My experience suggests that once you exceed about 8 users in a file things start to get a little harry. Just consider the save times and the interference that each user causes each other. I've found that 3 or 4 people typically in a file is pretty comfortable.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What have you found to be the max number of people in a single Revit file for best performance?

Quote Originally Posted by ghale View Post
    My experience suggests that once you exceed about 8 users in a file things start to get a little harry. Just consider the save times and the interference that each user causes each other. I've found that 3 or 4 people typically in a file is pretty comfortable.
    That sounds almost identical to my experiences. Have you allowed that limitation to start to determine team sizes for a project? Or maybe help to decide how to break up a larger model?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Anything over four is a pain in my experience

AUGI President Kimberly Fuhrman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Depends on the file size, as well. We have some massive projects with multiple links, CAD files, etc. It has been a pain even having 2-3 people working on the same project.
    It requires a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious.
    --Alfred North Whitehead

Kimberly Fuhrman, LEED AP BD+C, Assoc. AIA

Login to Give a bone

I've been working on several large project recently. We've had upward of 20 people in a project at once. We've had to resort to Scheduled save times to avoid conflict.
    They still ran into problems from time to time. Average same time was about 10-15 min depending on how long you went without saving. File size was about 550mb

I had another project with an average of about 10-15 people working in it at one time. Once in a while you would see someone get on the "Reloading latest" merry-go-round for 10-12 times, Save time in some cases was taking an hour. File size about 430mb

One of the big things I've noticed was if you can get user to close all hidden views and only have say a legend or drafting view open, this would greatly decrease save times and avoid the merry-go-round problem.

Ideally I'd never have more that 5 in a central at once and have them save every 30 min.