Thread: Site Designer

Login to Give a bone

Default Site Designer

I've just started using Site Designer. I haven't found many posts here since Site Designer was added to Revit. Has anyone used it a lot yet?
    I was excited to be able to build the site and then get quantities including cuts and fills. The curb feature works pretty well.
    But I'm hoping there are more "parking lot" and "sidewalk" options. They don't seem to be made for any irregular shape and I suspect I just haven't figured it out yet.
    I haven't found much in Revit "help" or searches. Is anyone aware of where to find good documentation, or tutorials, videos, training?

Thanks,
    Ed

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Site Designer

I don't speak for everyone, but I know that others had the same feeling that Site Designer was a bit of a headache, and not intuitive.. we played around with it for a little bit but it was frustrating, so I haven't touched it since. would be interested to see how people are using it though.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, I think it may have started way back in the day as an ADT plugin, then moved to a Revit plugin, then Adesk bought them. Clunky and unintuitive, unless you really need a specialized site model it's not worth the pain IMO.

Login to Give a bone

Is this Eaglepoint we're talking about? They came to the NYC Revit User Group a while back, and I was impressed with their presentation, considering the pathetic site tools native to Revit. They had a booth at AU in 2013 (I couldn't attend 2014). Then I heard something about a lawsuit, next I hear Autodesk is distributing it free from the subscription site.

What's up?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I Have found it is not worth even using but glad to hear some of you are. I found a class from AU 2013 on tips and work arounds for the site and it is great. I use this for curbs and it follows the grade perfectly. If you can not find it, let me know and I will look it up again. You however need to have been to AU to get into the site to view the video.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the comments. I've given up using the sidewalk and parking lot tools and I'm creating those using floors. That works well and is pretty easy, except cut and fill can't be calculated because "floors" don't modify the "proposed toposurface" is compared to the existing topo to calculate cut/fill quantities.

If Site Designer (yes, originally a Eagle Pointe product) could convert a floor to a site element (either sidewalks, asphalt, or grass), and if the "proposed toposurface" could automatically adjust to those element's subgrade, it would be pretty usable to me.