Thread: Conduit Junction Box help

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Conduit Junction Box help

Hi,
    I'm having an issue with custom conduit junction boxes. I've been given the task to make a bunch of conduit junction boxes. Some with 2 knockouts and some with 3 knockouts. I can make the junction boxes work just fine when you create a conduit run out of the box. But, when I try and place that junction box into an existing run of conduit. Nothing connects to the junction box. And the conduit run is not a continuous run anymore. Another part of the boxes, is that different sized conduit need to feed different knockouts in the box. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Conduit Junction Box help

You can specify the size of the conduit connectors in the JB family. Unless you're on the construction side producing as-builts or these are conduits >4", I wouldn't even bother modeling them though. They won't be installed in the paths/locations you model anyway.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We are on the construction side. On site and shooting points for installation. Every junction box gets installed exactly where we model it. We model every conduit down to 3/4". Its pretty insane.
    My major issue is getting the junction boxes to cut into the conduit run and become a part of that run.

Login to Give a bone

I don't think Revit will see the JBs as part of the run, unless maybe you model them as conduit fittings instead of electrical devices.

I am very impressed that you model prior to installation and that you get down to the 3/4" level of detail. That must be a nightmare. Are you getting models from A/E firms and refining them or starting from scratch? Is this design build work?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have our j-boxes created as electrical fittings. Still having the connection issue. When I place a box over a piece of conduit. It just cuts the conduit. Does not connect to it. We have other boxes that do, do that. But, not the custom ones I'm creating from scratch. Scratching head...

We have everything on site. I work for an electrical contractor. We have everything from engineers to installation people. We also have full GC teams, F.P., Plumbing, Mechanical, Arch, Structural and Interior Design. Its at a company called Epic. They are expanding their campus. Its quite amazing working here. Not your typical job workflow. Changes everyday, that need to be clashes and installed, sometimes that same day.

Login to Give a bone

Hm. Try identifying the difference(s) between the ones that work and the ones that don't. My guess is either the family category (fittings, devices, etc) or possibly the number of conduit connections. The issue may be the multiple conduit connectors. You might have to nest your different fitting sizes into separate families within the overall box family. I'm just shooting blind, though, that's not a situation I've ever specifically run into. Sounds like an equal parts annoying and entertaining work day though.