Thread: rejoin dimensions

Wish List Administration

Default rejoin dimensions

Summary: a lengthy series of dimensions combined into a single string

Description: Dimensioning a detailed brick exterior wall usually results in a lot of little dimensions. When I want them to stand off the wall equally, I have to drag them individually. If they were a single string, it would be much easier. A while back we got the ability to break up a dimension string. Now we need the opposite action: combine multiple dimensions into one.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Annotation Tools

Submitted By: Michael Jarosz on 04/14/2015

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: rejoin dimensions

rejoin dimensions

Description: Dimensioning a detailed brick exterior wall usually results in a lot of little dimensions. When I want them to stand off the wall equally, I have to drag them individually. If they were a single string, it would be much easier. A while back we got the ability to break up a dimension string. Now we need the opposite action: combine multiple dimensions into one.

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: rejoin dimensions

rejoin dimensions

Description: Dimensioning a detailed brick exterior wall usually results in a lot of little dimensions. When I want them to stand off the wall equally in plan, I have to drag them individually. If they were a single string, it would be much easier. A while back we got the ability to break up a dimension string. Now we need the opposite action: combine multiple dimensions into one.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar

Default Re: rejoin dimensions

Michael, I just don't understand what you mean here. Why would you have a whole bunch of small dimensions to collect together in the first place? Or is this about the placement of the text showing the numerical value of the dimension?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Once recombined, it would be easier to drag the entire string closer to, or further away from the face of the brick. I take great care to ensure that annotations don't overlap in my drawings. I often get compliments that my plans are very readable.

Dims Before.JPGDims After.JPG

All AUGI, all the time

The pictures don't add anything to the discussion. You can enter the dimensions as a continuous string the first time around.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar

Actually I can see MikeJarosz' point. Now you can delete sections of a dimension chain - because sometimes we put too many sections in a chain. It would make sense if seperate sections could be 're' combines. It is typically (for me) a necessary part of cleaning up views to detail design stage.

Now, how do I get back to this specific wish in the 'voting' part of this wishlist system?

The example I show is a precast building. Panels are 12' wide. The issue here isn't the final appearace of the string, but the steps neccessary to work out the dims before arriving at the final. So you dimension it 12', then you need to place windows so you break up the 12' into 4-4-4, then the middle section becomes 2 and 2. Then the column line is at an odd dimension....you get the picture. Now I want to pull the string a few feet off the building face and instead of one string I have many. Multiply this across the width of the entire elevation.

Of course, I could delete them all and reenter the string in one go and get the continuous string I want, or, I could recombine the existing dims if that were possible. In any case, giving us the ability to break up the string but not recombine it is an example of incomplete reasoning.