Thread: Custom Corner Mullions

Login to Give a bone

Question Custom Corner Mullions

I have never been able to create a corner mullion that actually works in the model with out too much trouble. I have even created corner mullions that will work in one project but not in another even though the walls are created the same. Does anyone know a solid way that works time and again.

There has to be an easier way. At #1 and #2 you can see where I have just placed the mullion at all 4 corners knowing that I will need a different profile for IS corners over OS corners. I just wanted to be able to see how placing it in the profile mullion template would affect how it comes in.

#3 is the one that should work, but even when I get this close no amount of moving left right up or down will bring it to the right placement.

#4 & #5 shows you where I have finally given up and toggled the type properties along with the placement of the curtain wall completely. To get them in correctly I have to unjoin the two walls. This can't be right?

Any suggestions anyone anyone anyone Buhler...............
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Custom Corner Mullions

I've created something similar at a previous firm. (yikes, Revit 2009!) where we basically had a "left" corner mullion and a "right" corner mullion. All of that can be confusing and not efficient, BUT if you mirror the storefront/curtain wall you're using, it'll mirror the corner mullion so you won't have to create two types. Or sorry, you'd just have to copy and rotate. Well, I guess you'd have to mirror, rotate until you got it to work.
    What's really stopping you from splitting that short wall exactly in half, then mirroring the mullions you did get to work. Then you just add your center mullion and "poof" done. Documentation won't be any different on your frame type or glazing schedule. you'll have an extra set of lines that you can use the invisible line tool to hide the line. Tricky, but effective none-the-less.

Login to Give a bone

RBCameron,
    First off thanks for responding.
    I understand where you are going, but wouldn't mirroring the wall turn the glass and curtain grids facing the wrong direction which would change the placement side of all other mullions and horizontals. Wouldnt I have to spin all of my mullion and horizontals that are being used in the intern of the wall. Otherwise when I placed them on the curtain grids, they would be facing the wrong direction.
    One other fix I have tried is creating the mullions in halves and placing them as part of a curtain wall system, which works but only if I manipulate and disjoin the walls also.
    I have an email out to autodesk. We are going to set up a call so she can go over my options with me. The email I received back from them said there is no easy fix and that I will need to "weigh out the cost benefit of the number of different options" . I'll keep you informed.
    Last edited by dlollar697851; 2015-04-27 at 06:45 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Looks like you're going the route of multiple mullions. Which is perfectly fine. Just make sure you aren't creating more work for yourself down the road. They can get finnicky sometimes... Oh wait, looks like you said you disallowed joins at the ends. But you know what I mean? The designer or owner might want to move some glass here and there, then all of a sudden all your detail work goes to heck. I'm trying to think if reference planes might be a good way to help keep you on course from here on out or not or if its better to start pinning things to keep them from moving/adjusting.

Either way, its a battle and the more people let autodesk know that its an issue the better.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Custom Corner Mullions

Well that wont work either. If I put them in in halves I still have to disjoin the walls which will keep them from mitering correctly later. Otherwise they have a huge gap between them.
    Still waiting on Autodesk to contact me again. So frustrating.
    I have the walls all connected and only 2 sides will miter no matter how much I toggle between join, break, run continuous.
    I can get them close by using the offset on the halves but they still will not place correctly.
    I have gone through and joined and disallowed join and joined again, pulled the grips back and snapped back into place and still only 2 of the 4 walls a miter.
    I know what reference planes are and how to apply them in the profile but what do they do that could help. I am not brand new to Revit but Im not quite 2 years in.
    I thought about just creating a column which would work for the preconstruction models where we are just showing our potential clients how it could look, but I'd like the work I do and the families I create to be useable in shop drawings and maybe help production save some time when I can. We are also looking to be able to send our families to the client to use in their models also.
    Ive spent 2 1/2 days reading blogs, watching videos, going through comments and still, I am no closer then when I started, or so it feels.

Login to Give a bone

So after talking with someone at Autodesk we have come up with a solution. I am using the Line based template to create the corners in. This allows me to place them and set how long they should be. I have set it up as a Mullion subcategory in the Object Parameters.
    Last edited by dlollar697851; 2015-05-06 at 04:01 PM.