Thread: Revit Synchronizing to Central Model Takes Too Long

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Synchronizing to Central Model Takes Too Long

Hello,

We are all working with Revit Architecture 2015. We have a local network. 3 workstations are connected to eachother with a lan switch. We don't have a server. Our central model is on my computer. My OS is Win 8.2 the other two are Win 7. I do not have problem synchronising to central but one of the computers which is operating in win7 has synchronizing issue. It takes too long approximately 15-20 min. to synchronize.
    Is there a solution for that? Is it a before mentioned issue? If so, please reply me with the link.
    Thank you.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Synchronizing to Central Model Takes Too Long

Well first of all peer to peer workstations have operating systems which are not designed for "serving" data in the way that Revit taxes a "network". A server operating system is designed to do that all day all night...

Second Autodesk has generally recommended a team use the same operating system, and even ensure they have the same updates. Revit too, the same Update Releases applied. In your case having two different versions of Windows involved in the project may be contributing to the issue because they deal with file sharing differently...meaning the newer version has improvements or bug fixes the older version does not.

Your "network" situation is not optimal and we've not even discussed what might be "wrong" with the team structure inside Revit.

How often are you all waiting between using Synchronize with Central (SwC)? The longer you all wait to do it the more data you're asking Revit to reconcile. The more often you do so at the same time, the longer it will take to work through your changes. You don't say how large your project is, how many warnings it has accumulated, how well modelled it is, how much experience you have, how well you've configured worksets to allow for your work to be segregated...

Are you using Worksharing Monitor? If you are what does the History Report show for each SwC time. I've found that people's perception of time can be a little exaggerated and the history information helps reign it back in a bit. Sitting staring at a screen for a 5 minute SwC can feel like 15, or if we get up and go off to do something we don't really know how long it took. I'm not saying you're being dishonest, sometimes it is just anecdotal. People tell the support person their saves are taking forever and then we find out forever equals 4 minutes...it does feel like a long time.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2015-04-27 at 06:43 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

4 minutes to a millennial IS forever. 4 minutes to a boomer is called coffee break.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I completely agree with Steve. If you are not able to set up a network, an alternative is to set up a NAS device on the switch. I suspect the issue ties to the differing operating systems on the workstations. There will definitely be worksharing issues if the workstations are mixing SMB 2 & 3 (technologies for the Windows File System).