Thread: Object Snap ONLY Mode

Wish List Administration

Default Object Snap ONLY Mode

Summary: Object Snap Mode that Eliminates Erroneous Input

Description: When working on large or complex drawings, it sometimes appears that you have landed the cursor on an object snap point, however this is not the case. Oftentimes, after a full zoom, it is revealed that the line or block you inserted has completely missed the intended target and is not even on a snap point at all!
    One way of eliminating this would be to have a "Snap Only" mode.
    When switched on, the line, block, etc. would only snap to an existing endpoint, midpoint, insertion point, etc. You would not be able to snap to some random point where no objects exist.
    Another issue when drawings have lots of detail is quickly finding a snap point or other detail in the current zoom level. While using the mouse wheel has made zooming much easier than older ACAD versions, sometimes you are working in a viewport window and do not want to zoom in or out too much because you want to preserve the current view and scale.
    Why not employ some type of magnifying glass that could pop up automatically after hovering over an area. It would show up a scaled view of the area under the crosshairs. This would work kind of like the way MTEXT input blows up tiny text to allow readability at any given scale,

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - Snaps

Submitted By: Louis Schultz on 04/21/2015

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Object Snap ONLY Mode

Object Snap ONLY Mode

Description: When working on large or complex drawings, it sometimes appears that you have landed the cursor on an object snap point, however this is not the case. Oftentimes, after a full zoom, it is revealed that the line or block you inserted has completely missed the intended target and is not even on a snap point at all!
    When switched on, the line, block, etc. would only snap to an existing endpoint, midpoint, insertion point, etc. You would not be able to snap to some random point where no objects exist.
    Another issue when drawings have lots of detail is quickly finding a snap point or other detail in the current zoom level. While using the mouse wheel has made zooming much easier than older ACAD versions, sometimes you are working in a viewport window and do not want to zoom in or out too much because you want to preserve the current view and scale.
    Why not employ some type of magnifying glass that could pop up automatically after hovering over an area. It would show up a scaled view of the area under the crosshairs. This would work kind of like the way MTEXT input blows up tiny text to allow readability at any given scale,

Wish List Administration

Exclamation Re: Object Snap ONLY Mode

Object Snap ONLY Mode

Certifiable AUGI Addict

Default Re: Object Snap ONLY Mode

The OSNAPOVERRIDE system variable can enforce current running object snap settings (OSMODE), preventing manual overrides, which is likely to be useful only in specialized applications.
    You could also use an override key: Hold SHIFT + S or SHIFT + while picking a point.
    See #4 http://www.cad-notes.com/10-autocad-...override-keys/

If several running object snaps are turned on, more than one object snap may be eligible at a given location. You can press Tab to cycle through the possibilities before you specify the point.
    http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...2DAC3-htm.html
    Last edited by Tom Beauford; 2015-04-22 at 11:34 AM.

Not to argue against your wish but there are simple solutions.

You could just type the three letter abreviation of the osnap name or select the osnap immediately before picking.

As for preserving the view, just use ZoomP after picking.

Certifiable AUGI Addict

To be honest I've never used the tips I posted above. When snapping to endpoint I always look for the visual cue for endpoint before picking. If the endpoint is near other possible osnaps I simply place my curser elsewhere on the line and look for the visual cue for endpoint before picking. Like jaberwok scrolling with the mouse or using ZoomP is so natural anymore I forget I'm doing it.

The "which is likely to be useful only in specialized applications" part above came straight from AutoCAD help for OSNAPOVERRIDE, just wanted to let you know it's in there if that's really what you want to do.
    You could add a macro like
    Code:
    ^P(ai_onoff "OSNAPOVERRIDE") ^P
    to toggle it off/on

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Not to argue against your wish but there are simple solutions.

You could just type the three letter abreviation of the osnap name or select the osnap immediately before picking.

As for preserving the view, just use ZoomP after picking.
    Yup, I use this method all the time.
    I have my preferred OSMODE set in my Acaddoc.lsp (which can be totally toggled on/off with F3... as you know)
    And when I want to FORCE an osnap because of complex geometry and I will have too many options showing, I simply type in the 3-letter abbrev. and I get the snap I want on the fly.

I could stop if I wanted to

Another side note, if you are running multiple object snaps..... you can use the "TAB" key to cycle through the object snaps that apply to that particular CAD entity

It even works, if you force your object snap, lets say to end point, if you hit the TAB key it will find the next endpoint along that CAD entity. This comes in handy if you are not sure of the location of an object snap.