Thread: menu tablet 2004 to toolbar 2014

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default menu tablet 2004 to toolbar 2014

I have a client who is still running autocad 2004 on a windows XP with a summasketch II tablet. He has 3 computers running like that. The upper part of the tablet (zone 1) contains insertions of blocks (^c^cinsert elctricNEMA15 ...). The template of the tablet is printed from a DWG file.

What would be the easiest way to transfer that into toolbars?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: menu tablet 2004 to toolbar 2014

For block insertion, I would lean toward tool palette(s), rather than toolbars.

As much as I love all of the new features that have been added to AutoCAD over the years, I still miss the old digitizer tablets. We got rid of ours when we moved to R14/Windows (I was told most of the tablets we had were not compatible). While the mouse experience has improved over the years (no more cleaning gunk off the mouse ball), I miss the sense of movement precision that I got when using a tablet to drive the cursor, rather than a mouse. Ah well, time marches on, and I definitely would not want to run today's software on the hardware we had back then.

Login to Give a bone

I forgot to mention, if memory serves, the command macros behind the tablet menu should still work for a toolbar tool, if you want to go that route. Assuming, of course, that you maintain the source files in the AutoCAD search path. I find it easier to have the block definitions in one source file from which tools on a tool palette can pull. And, in my opinion, it is easier to create and maintain tools on one or more tool palettes than to have the equivalent in toolbar tools.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

From the macro it appears the blocks are in the drawing. Starting with 2015 picking Insert on the Ribbon displays all the blocks in the drawing in a resizable window with a scroll bar on the right. No customization needed. If he's on subscription a newer version would be the way to go. Even 2016 is still on the 2013 platform and it has a lot of nice new features as well.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    For block insertion, I would lean toward tool palette(s), rather than toolbars.

As much as I love all of the new features that have been added to AutoCAD over the years, I still miss the old digitizer tablets. We got rid of ours when we moved to R14/Windows (I was told most of the tablets we had were not compatible). While the mouse experience has improved over the years (no more cleaning gunk off the mouse ball), I miss the sense of movement precision that I got when using a tablet to drive the cursor, rather than a mouse. Ah well, time marches on, and I definitely would not want to run today's software on the hardware we had back then.
    Completely off-topic - I DON'T miss the problems of wandering tablet template sheets at all. They couldn't be taped down since there were multiple templates in use. After a few hours of heavy use the paper template would get dragged juuuuust enough off target to be useless.

For the OP: you can re-create each of those tablet functions as a command definition in the CUI editor. Then that command can be referenced in multiple places - ribbon panels, toolbars, and menus (and tool palettes as well, I think - I've moved away from those). Need to change a block name? No problem - change it in the command definition and all places that reference that command will be updated as well.