Thread: Subfeed panel through linked MEP model

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Subfeed panel through linked MEP model

So we are doing a multiple building project where several MEP models are linked. Can I feed a panel from a linked MEP model panel? As I type this I can't help but think the answer is no. How would you accomplish this? Hide a JB with the load total of the linked model?

thanks,

Gary

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Subfeed panel through linked MEP model

the answer Is no, you can't connect a circuit thru a linked file. i've done what you suggest, create a j-box that you can hide (i usually stick them right on the panel face) with an unbalanced 3-phase load, and connect is as a load called your remote panel name feeder. you'll have to just input the loads for each phase manually and keep them up to date thru the project. i never went thru and created a j-box for each load classification for demand purposes, but you could do that and put them all on the same circuit on your host panel. the numbers should come thru more accurately that way.
    hth,
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike - That's what I thought. Does this sound worthy of a "wish list" item?

Login to Give a bone

i would love more connectivity thru links, they are working on it. they keep adding things that you can tag from a link, like first rooms, and now mech equipment. the problem is that in order to circuit something from a link, it would have to save a change to the other file, and it can't do that yet. we only have read only connectivity, like tagging things so far... i don't speak 'programming', but having panel loads come thru a link seems do-able eventually. go ahead and submit it though, the more requests, the more it'll get looked into...

Login to Give a bone

I suspect that the eventual solution will be the ability to copy/monitor equipment and receive a coordination review notification when the loads are changed. I don't see write permissions across linked files being feasible, especially in a workshared environment where detached models are being periodically traded across offices/firms. Each time an updated model was provided, we'd have to recircuit the linked items.

Login to Give a bone

I suspect that copy/monitor will end up being the solution here. I don't see write permissions across linked models being feasible, especially in a workshared environment with models being periodically traded across offices/firms. Each time an updated model was provided, the circuiting would have to be redone. Working in the cloud might alleviate this, but I still have my doubts.

Login to Give a bone

From a programming perspective this does not appear to be very difficult at all for Autodesk to implement, at least for a partial solution that would fill 99% of the scenarios we face. There is not much difference between being able to host receptacles to a wall in a linked model and getting the electrical properties of a panel in a linked model. Retain the linked model element's id as part of the circuit "object". The only limitation would be that the panel in the child model would not indicate where it was being fed from. Usually we don't care too much about that. The distribution equipment in the parent model would know what it is feeding and that is usually all we'we looking for. It could easily update automatically when the link gets reloaded and most importantly retain the load classification data to accurately calculate the demand factor.