Thread: Revit Annotation Scale of Schematic Symbols

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Annotation Scale of Schematic Symbols

So this is probably a complete noob question - but I've been racking my brain for the past hour trying to create a schematic opposed blade damper (just to see if I could create a schematic part that scaled). I created it in 2016 using the the generic mechanical equipment family template. I made sure my mechanical settings in my project are set to use annotative scale for single line fittings. I changed the family category in the family is set to duct accessories. I created my damper using symbolic lines. Under family types for my new family I set the checked the box for use annotation. But it seems no matter what I do - it still doesn't scale in my project. Am I missing something here? Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Annotation Scale of Schematic Symbols

If you just want the schematic and not a model element with duct connectors, start with the Generic Annotations template. Mechanical equipment comes in at whatever size you drew it, unless it's being controlled by some parameters you gave it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks - is that the only way to do it? I guess I was under the impression it would work if I made it a duct accessory - similar to the way valves work. I've analyzed the valves that come with Revit to death and I can't see where they are different than what I've created. I guess I'm left to wonder if there's some behind the scenes Autodesk Voodoo going on with the valves that make them use annotation scale.

Login to Give a bone

I don't know of another way to make your symbol change based on drawing scale.

It sounds like you want a model element that connects to a duct and has a symbol for printing though, right? So duct accessory is the right way to go. Do you have a 3D damper in the family that your lines are on top of?

Login to Give a bone

Yes I want to be able to create my own families and have them scale (just like valves do). This is one of the major driving force that has kept us from using Revit for the past 4 years - the lack of the ability to do this. I was hoping maybe 2016 had something new that would allow us to do this - but it seems not. No I do not have a 3D damper in the family that my lines are on like the valves - that is about the only difference from what I can tell between what I've done and Autodesk did. But I was just trying to make this work at the most basic level - some way we could create simple schematic families fast. I did as you suggested and it did seem to work. Maybe that's our workaround. Thanks.