See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: What's changed since Revit 2008?

Login to Give a bone

Default What's changed since Revit 2008?

Hi All,
    I feel like a dinosaur. I started using Revit back in 2001 and after I went out on my own, I purchased Revit 2008 and Autocad 2008 for my projects. I'm now finally interested in upgrading, but it cost thousands and so I'm trying to weigh the costs and benefits. Can anyone that has been using Revit for a long time, like me, give me a rundown on what has changed since 2008?
    Thanks in advance.

Jacob

www.jchavezdesign.com

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What's changed since Revit 2008?

A lot of things have, that's a big ask. Why don't you start by getting acquainted with What's New in 2016. You can find blog posts with what's new for most years versions to see what's happened since 2008, like the interface going to a ribbon in 2010.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your response Steve. I'll try and spend some time looking through blog posts and forums, but as you know, one could spend a day doing that and I don't have that time to give up right now. I'm a one man show running a growing design build firm and I'm already stretched. I guess I was hoping that someone that has been using Revit as long as I have might have some valuable input like:
    a) Revit is light years better and more powerful now than in 2008. A few examples of the dramatic improvements are:
    or
    b) Revit is still the same basic platform. Though many incremental changes have been made, the major changes have been items like schedule and rendering..for example. (the areas that Revit has some major deficiencies in 200

I'm doing all residential new homes and additions. I don't use rendering in Revit, I develop the model then export to Acad when things stop moving so I can really dial in the details.
    I don't really care much about interface items. In fact, often times, it is more irritating than anything because now I have to hunt around to find things and it's still the same stuff... like a mean game of hide and go seek!

Any help is very much appreciated.
    I've attached an example of how I'm using Revit 2008. Once I get this dialed in, it's export to Acad and bust out the CD's
    Jacob

Robel-personal-residence 2.jpg

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You are exporting from Revit to do CD's in AutoCAD? You don't need to upgrade.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, that's what my sense was. I have actually dialed this process in to the point that it's really quite efficient. There are some protocols such as exporting in fine detail so I can locate and dimension to the stud layer, but Revit does a really nice job exporting. Since I can really move quickly in Acad, it is a nice way to use the benefits of each program.
    Thank you.

Jacob

I could stop if I wanted to david.metcalf's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Actually in your business as you, said you are dialed in well. So long as external business forces (consultants, owner, fabricators, vendors and contractors) do not start pushing for design data down though the construction, fabrication and building management cycles. Try giving them a 2008 model, I am certain taking a 2008 model into 2016 Revit will present chanlleges as I encountered with helping a architect bring his 2009 project into newer versions of Revit after teh project was resurrected once recovery from the "Great Recession" got underway.

On the other hand, if your business is growing, the last thing you want to do when attracting new talent is to present toolset that are 8 years old to users acclimated to the newer functionalities and the workflow inherent to the newer Revit versions.

You are certainly in a better place than say a pure AutoCAD shop taking trips to universities on career days and not finding any graduates with knowledge of AutoCAD workflows. Colleges are turning out graduates acclimated to doing work from BIM workflows.

Early on, before Revit became a 200x version, I used to do as you did in my first two projects when Revit's strong suit was more to 3d not not so much with documentation. Now that the documentation side is so much better, I would be crazy to export to AutoCAD and do documentation. That is because the changes requested by owner, contractor and permitting made it difficult to keep separate model/CAD side data coordinated.

Additionally, contractors are demanding 3d models for coordination and I am not wanting to deal with coordination from changes in AutoCAD drawing sheets and Revit models. No one's paying me for this type of BIM/CAD workflow.