See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Autocad 3D Blocks

Login to Give a bone

Default Autocad 3D Blocks

Hello,

I posted this over at CADTutor and was pointed in the direction of these forums - although there's so many i can guarantee this will be in the wrong place.

Anyway, I'm fairly new to 3D and have been asked to show some of our (electrical dept) equipment in a multi-discipline 3D model. The MCC's, control panels, light fittings etc i've been able to put in as light fitting blocks are readily available on the net and i drew the panels, but i'm looking now to show ladder work (and i want it to look realistic, that than just a profile extruded).

I've been onto some ladder manufacturers to see if they have 3D blocks of their ladder that they could send me but i have drawn a blank. I'm after straight pieces/90 bends/internal & external risers/45 bends/equal tees/reducers - basically anything i can get my hands on. We're using 150mm, 300mm and 600mm ladder.

My question is does anyone have any blocks from a previous project they may have worked on that i could use?

Thanks,

Sean.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autocad 3D Blocks

I'll take that as a no then!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sean.andrews2700697 View Post
    I'll take that as a no then!
    Sorry. Didn't use AutoCAD MEP for very long before moving over to Revit MEP, I'd wager I'm not the only one.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Depends what you're trying to do. If you're just making a picture to show space and relation, the MEP libraries under MVParts have your panels, etc. There's no form fittings stock but Thomas ^ Betts has full downloadable 3D solids you can use as blocks to get by. The fittings that ship with MEP aren't accurate though, you can't to more than rough takeoff with them. I've been in the process of building MEP Cable Tray, and it's been painful from scratch since I need it dimensionally accurate for takeoff. Not something for the faint of heart and not familiar with parametric 3D modelling. Their stock fittings though are close enough to draw a picture in the Cable Tray library.

Make sure you launch AutoCAD MEP, not AutoCAD MEP Architecture, as they run different menu systems. You should have an "Electrical" workspace available by default if you're under the right 'tier' program. The Main tab should have conduit/cable tray with that setup to get easy access to what they ship with.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen ladders somewhere in the Architecture catalog...