Thread: Drag Controls on Hanger Rod

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Drag Controls on Hanger Rod

Hi,
    I'm having an issue. Which I'm not even sure is possible to accomplish in Revit. I have a hanger family with support rods. I can get the top of the support rods to come into the model at an associated level above. Which is fine. But, I need to have the ability to have drag controls on the rods. So that I can make adjustments to the rod length by hand. I can get the drag controls in the family. IF, I don't associate the top of the rods to the level above. Is there anyway that both of these options can be available with the family. Or do you have to make a decision and pick one or the other?

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drag Controls on Hanger Rod

Quote Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
    Hi,
    I'm having an issue. Which I'm not even sure is possible to accomplish in Revit. I have a hanger family with support rods. I can get the top of the support rods to come into the model at an associated level above. Which is fine. But, I need to have the ability to have drag controls on the rods. So that I can make adjustments to the rod length by hand. I can get the drag controls in the family. IF, I don't associate the top of the rods to the level above. Is there anyway that both of these options can be available with the family. Or do you have to make a decision and pick one or the other?

Thanks.
    what family template are you using to start with?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I actually received this family from another (trustworthy) source. So, I can't say with 100% accuracy. But, I would say it was created with a generic template. Not sure though. I'll attach a picture of the front view of the family. It has a lower reference level and an upper ref level.

Capture.JPG

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timmyt View Post
    I actually received this family from another (trustworthy) source. So, I can't say with 100% accuracy. But, I would say it was created with a generic template. Not sure though. I'll attach a picture of the front view of the family. It has a lower reference level and an upper ref level.
    Ok, it looks like a Generic Model Two Level template was used. Based on the image you uploaded I think what might give you the drag grips you are looking for on the "rods" going vertically down from the Upper Ref Level would be to first add another reference plane that goes through the end of the extrusion that represents the "rods". Next you would need to select the extrusion that represents the rods and use the grip that is inline with the reference plane you just created and back the extrusion off from the plane and then move it back so you can lock it to that plane. You will need to do this for both vertical rods. Next you would add a dimension between the reference plane you just created and the reference plane that is ontop of the Upper Ref Level. (BE SURE to select the reference plane for your dimension, NOT the Upper Ref Level). Once the dimension is in there, select the dimension and from the green options bar there should be a panel called label with a drop down next to it. click the drop down and select "add parameter". This will take you to a dialog box where you can give the parameter a name and select whether it is a type parameter or instance. You want to make it an instance parameter. click okay and then flex the new parameter from the family types button on the properties panel in the ribbon. see if the extrusions move with the changes in the parameter you created, if they do then load this family into your project and you should now have grips for your "rods". Now keep in mind I am not sure how the rest of your family is constrained to each other, which is why I said to flex the parameter you created to see what happens before loading it into your project.

If any of my fellow AUGI members notices anything I missed please correct me. I hope this helped.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If that hanger came from where I think it came from, I'd suggest contacting that vendor to discuss your issues as they are quite helpful.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks. I will read this over and try to implement your suggestions asap. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If I can't figure it out (its great learning experience), I will probably contact them. It was given to our company for "free". So, not sure how much help they are willing to give at this point. ha.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

tntdraftsol,
    I believe I have already done exactly what you are suggesting. The issue I'm having is not having my rods "default" to the level above. They come in at whatever elevation they are in the family, not the associated level above. Even if I line up my reference planes with the level. On the other hand, if I lock the reference planes to the associated level above, in the family. I lose the constraints, but I'm able to have my rods "default" at the associated level when placed in the model. But, then I'm not able to have my drag controls. You see the issue. I could just be misunderstanding what you are trying to explain though. But, I'm fairly sure I got it. I may be getting a little greedy with what I'm asking a family to accomplish. But, I'm willing to try anything at this point.
    Thanks.