Thread: Migrating from Aperture to?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Migrating from Aperture to?

Hi I'm Damien. I am a Technical Manager for a civil engineering firm in Victoria, Australia and produce site and building plans for a company with about 30+ sites across the state.
    They use these plans in a FM package called Aperture, which will no longer be supported in the latest Windows versions, and they are looking for a new FM program.

The Aperture program our client was using has certain limitations when it comes to importing dwg files, such as objects needing to be as close to 0,0,0 as possible to avoid zooming issues, and other block scaling problems. As we were surveying the sites to Geodetic datum, this posed a certain amount of unproductive drafting time.

Is there a package you would recommend, particularly as the base plans are all in 2d AutoCad, and I would rather not go through a whole new transistion process in order to import them into some other partially-compatible format?

Another item for consideration is the fact that the client already has a number of databases in Aperture, and the ability to export these from Aperture into the new package would be of particular importance.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating from Aperture to?

Quote Originally Posted by dginger412546 View Post
    Hi I'm Damien. I am a Technical Manager for a civil engineering firm in Victoria, Australia and produce site and building plans for a company with about 30+ sites across the state.
    They use these plans in a FM package called Aperture, which will no longer be supported in the latest Windows versions, and they are looking for a new FM program.

The Aperture program our client was using has certain limitations when it comes to importing dwg files, such as objects needing to be as close to 0,0,0 as possible to avoid zooming issues, and other block scaling problems. As we were surveying the sites to Geodetic datum, this posed a certain amount of unproductive drafting time.

Is there a package you would recommend, particularly as the base plans are all in 2d AutoCad, and I would rather not go through a whole new transistion process in order to import them into some other partially-compatible format?

Another item for consideration is the fact that the client already has a number of databases in Aperture, and the ability to export these from Aperture into the new package would be of particular importance.

Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Hi, Damien!

Personally, I've never used Aperture. Can you tell us about how the client is using the data right now? Work order management, preventative maintenance, inventory, space management, leasing, etc? How many users? Will they want mobile apps, a desktop client, a web interface, or all three?
    The recommendation of software is going to depend on how they use their data.

As for migrating all of the data... a database is a database. It might be easier from a support standpoint if they have someone familiar with a specific one.
    For example, when I used IBM Maximo and MP2, Oracle was the back-end database. On the installation of Archibus that I currently support, the back-end is SQL.
    Most CAFM/CMMS programs will support 2 or 3 major players. But, even if they don't, you export the data out from one, map it to the destination database and import it. Anyone doing an implementation of such a system will be familiar with that.

We primarily use Archibus modules as they come, but, we have created our own data tables to use independent of those pre-built functions as well.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Migrating from Aperture to?

Hi Damien,

Good Day! I have around 10 years of experience creating CAFM projects using APERTURE. I have closely worked in collaboration with our business partners in Europe for European clients. If you are still looking for a solution to move your exiting data from Aperture, I can give some useful inputs about a excellent products that can take Aperture project into the new CAFM system.

Best regards
    Ganesh Shankar M
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2016-04-20 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Conversations need to happen here. Please be aware of forum guidelines.