Thread: Model does not complete the linking of ANY file.

Login to Give a bone

Angry Model does not complete the linking of ANY file.

I am working on a mechanical model (40MB file size) on the revit sever. When I attempt to link in a file revit starts to link but never completes the linking process and I eventually have to close revit and restart. No error messages are given the cursor just continues to spin. I have tried linking several different files, plumbing, electrical, structural, and even created a small test file with very little content and that file will not link either. I have audited, purged the mechanical model and saved a new central file but that did not help. I have saved the mechanical model on my local drive and tried linking the small test file I created from my local drive and that didn't work either. I have tried linking, leaving my computer running all night and it still never completes the linking process. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model does not complete the linking of ANY file.

Just a few questions that might help the trouble-shooting process:

1. Do you have problems with linking Revit models in any other model? In other words, is this issue related to this particular file?

2. Does the linking process prevent you from working in the file while it is still trying to link a model? This would be helpful to know in order to determine if in fact the linking action is ongoing or only appears to be ongoing.

3. Is your active workset an issue. If you try to link a model while your active workset is defaulted to be off you may not see the link. Try changing your active workset to one that is definitely on and then link the model. If that doesn't work try creating a new temporary workset and make that active, then try to link in the other model.

4. Does this apply to ALL links, including CAD files?

5. Can you create a temporary copy of the mechanical model on your desktop, open and detach, saveas a central model to your desktop (or another local folder), sync the file, and now try linking in another model?

Just a few thoughts that crossed my mind. Maybe/hopefully one of them will work. Let us know~

Login to Give a bone

1. Only have issue with this particular model.
    2. The linking process does not complete and of course Revit does not allow any other action during the linking process.
    3. What workset is active is irrelevant due to the linking process never completing.
    4. CAD files link without issue.
    5. As stated in my original post I have already tried this.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Is the model you're attempting to link a detached model provided by another consultant? If they copy/pasted instead of detaching and saving Revit might be trying to link to the file on their server rather than the detached copy you have. That wouldn't explain the problem with your small test file, but it's all I can think of.

Have you tried linking your model into one of the others to see if the problem is a two way street?

Login to Give a bone

I would still try creating a new workset that you are absolutely sure you have permission to edit, make it active, and then try linking. When you link a model it will be placed in the active workset. But if for some reason you didn't have permission to edit that workset I would imagine this would prevent the linking process from completing. These sorts of unique issues are pretty tough to troubleshoot without being in the model so just giving some ideas that might help.

One more thought: are there any links in the model that you are trying to link into your mechanical model? If there are is it possible they are creating a circular reference back to you mechanical model or one of your other links in your mechanical model? Try removing any links in the file you are trying to link into your mechanical model and see if it works.

Login to Give a bone

All links have been removed and the other disciplines are not having any issues linking the structural model. Also the other disciplines can link the mechanical model without issue.

Thanks