Thread: Turn off connectors

Wish List Administration
    Login to Give a bone

Default Turn off connectors

Summary: The ability to turn off connectors like it is possible to turn off extrusions in Family editor.

Description: It is needed to have the functionallity to turn off connecotrs in a Family.
    When we are creating a radiator we need to copy a family several times to make the different connection options

Product and Feature: Revit MEP - MEP Family Contents/Components (Plumbing)

Submitted By: Michael Porskær on 06/01/2015

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Turn off connectors

You can do this now! Sorta!

Instead of making your "pipe" geometry simple Extrusions, make them Sweeps. In the "sketch path" step of the Sweep command, you can place dimensions on the path lines, and those dimensions can be parametricly controlled like any other dimension. The connector will move with the sweep. You can use this to swing the connector in any direction you want, and you can control that sweep angle with a tidy yes/no parameter checkbox.

For example, I had a CRAC unit family which has the piping connections on the bottom. But the unit had an option for top piping connections. Rather than make a whole new family, I made a single Sweep for the four pipes, created a Parameter called "Pipe Angle" and created an angle dimension on the sweep that used that parameter. I then made a new yes/no parameter called "Top Piping Connection." Then, the "Pipe angle formula" parameter, I entered the formula: if(Top Piping Connection, 90, 180) . That way, if the Top Piping Connection checkbox is not checked, the pipe sweep path is straight and pokes out the side of the unit. If the box is checked, the pipe sweep makes a 90deg turn inside the body of the unit and poked out of the top. I also needed to manage the length of the 2nd segment of the sweep with a similar conditional formula.

I've done the same thing with Rooftop Units, inline exhaust fans (Left/right/straight duct discharge), and left/right hand coils on hydronic VAV reheat coils. Feel free to hit me up with questions.

Login to Give a bone

That is a great work around for this problem.

I do have a few concerns though, if I am understanding you correctly,

It still doesn't allow for the array tool.
    Also, any unused connections would still be left open.

Having the capability to manipulate these connectors in the project setting with either type or instance parameters would be a huge advancement for making more complicated families (gas meter banks, interceptors, etc.)

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, it's a work-around. It doesn't allow you to vary the number of connectors. At some point, you do have to create separate families. And while it's true that you can't hide the connector, you CAN hide the geometry that it's connected to. Those "orphaned" connectors won't print, and won't even be visible unless you select the Family.

You can also "stack" connectors on top of each other. For example, I do this on my Inline Fan family, for Supply and Exhaust Systems. This way the fan can be a makeup air fan or an exhaust fan, depending on which connector you select. This saved me from making a separate "Supply Fan" and "Exhaust Fan" family for the same exact fan.