Thread: How often do you reload vs Synchronize?

Login to Give a bone

Default How often do you reload vs Synchronize?

As the subject says, how often do you reload and how often do you synchronize?

The reason I'm asking is because the project I'm worksharing with two other people I've noticed (using worksharing monitor) the two others dont reload very often or synchronize.

Previous experience has thought me to reload regularly and then sync a couple times an hour, I just can't remember the reason for it as its a few years ago. From memory work was lost because of team members not reloading & synchronizing regularly and files being out of date overwriting changes.

If anyone has any links to some good sites I would be more than welcome to them so I can email them to the team. I need them to understand the importance of reloading before sync (how I have been told to do it in a previous job).

This is the only relevant page/site I found but it doesnt really address what can happen if not regularly updating: http://revitknowz.blogspot.ie/2011/0...vs-reload.html

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How often do you reload vs Synchronize?

I generally use SwC (Synchronize with Central and Modify Settings) more often than Reload Latest (RL). I only use RL when someone else has made changes I need to see but I haven't done anything in the last few minutes worth syncing myself.

The longer people wait to SwC the longer the synchronization will take, it's more data transactions to reconcile. How much longer before it is perceptible or noticeable is another matter. It all depends on how many people and how much data. The more of each the more perceptible it will be.

My habit is to use SwC as often as I do any work worth keeping, and when I'm ready to move on to another task. I avoid piling on though (one of Worksharing Monitor's better attributes), I wait until others have completed their SwC so we are not competing for Revit's reconciliation time.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We recommend our users to Synchronize with Central every hour. If it is a project large team (20+ concurrent users), it is also helpful to schedule the times to minimize overlap. One can also Reload Latest first, which can speed up the Synchronize with Central process afterwards.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yes, I should have mentioned that using Reload Latest is wise when a longer period of time has passed (than it should) between using SwC. It allows Revit to reconcile other's changes (many) before worrying about those I've made (fewer). It has been many years now but I once was involved with a project that proved necessary to use Reload Latest first in order to have SwC work successfully without errors.

Login to Give a bone

Where did I get the idea from that you should reload before syc, or at least reload more frequently? I was sure we had a problem on a project where we came to the conclusion that a sync was the cause of the problem and that we needed to reload before sync to avoid the same issue happening?

So generally I should get the users to SwC every hour or so and when they have completed a task before moving on to the next one (makes sense as it also saves their changes and in the event of a crash they lose less) and to also reload when others have synchronized.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jozi View Post
    ... I've noticed (using worksharing monitor) the two others dont reload very often or synchronize.
    You may also want to make sure that all of your users create new local files daily. Always have them save locally regularly.

When you Synchronize to Central it does the following:

1) contacts all of the other connected users to identify the current status of the model.
    2) downloads any updates from other users, since the time you last synchronized.
    3) reconciles the new updates with your updates.
    4) commits your updates to the Central model if there are no conflicts.

Performing the reload latest ahead of time minimizes the effort for steps 1-3.