Thread: planetarium

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default planetarium

With the Pluto mission in mind, I thought it would be fun to create some sort of planetarium in Revit.
    Obstacles I had to overcome were scale and texture mapping. Ofcourse this isn't 1:1, but there are some ratios to give a sense of proportion: planets are drawn on a scale of 1mm:1km (meaning all planets are between 2 and 150 meters in diameter), and distances are on a scale of 1mm:100,000km. Meaning the planets are a hundred thousand times closer together in terms of proportion.
    Pluto is also there although I can't tell if the map is up-to-date.

What I didn't draw: the Sun (it would consume the three closest planets, given the proportions), atmosphere, moons, rings, bump mapping, any kind of specific significant reflection, a background representing our view on the Milky Way. Although it can easily be done and I challenge anyone who might feel like it to show his skills; consider it a work in progress,
    The planets do have a seem between the daytime and nighttime side, because Revit can't put one continuous texture on a revolve. A full revolve has two sides and if you want both sides to look different, then you need two different materials. That's why I made two hemispheres.

solarsystem.jpg

I humbly submit what I hope will be the first version of a conveniently proportioned Revit planetarium.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by clog boy; 2015-07-15 at 08:33 PM.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: planetarium

DOH! Ofcourse it would look a lot neater with the material images included

Now has the updates Pluto map (found one online assembled from the hi-res images made in the recent days)
    Attached Files Attached Files