Thread: Can't edit nested family

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't edit nested family

Hey everyone,

I was just taking a look at a door panel family that was handed over by a consultant, and have found that I cannot edit the door handle family that is nested in this parent family. Curiously, the handle family is not visible in plan view, but is visible in 3D and in elevation. I've checked the visibility settings in this view where it's missing and everything seems to be as it should to be able to see it.

Would any be able to help me out and explain what is going on here?

I've attached the file if anyone wants to take a look at it. It's saved in 2011, so pretty much anyone can probably open it.

(I opened it in Revit 2014 to see if the behaviour would be the same and it was.)

Any help/info would be much appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't edit nested family

I was able to open the Solid Core - No Glazing family, but like you, was not able to edit the nested family used for the lockset. I suspect that while the Visibility Settings of the instance of this family are all turned on, that inside the Lever curved qda family, the modeled objects that make up the family have their Visibility Settings set with the Plan/RCP toggle unchecked. Not being able to edit the family prevents me from testing that theory.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't edit nested family

Thanks for taking a look at it David. Yeah, that's a good assumption as to why it's not visible in plan view. It's interesting to note that the plan/RCP option is checked off in the Family Element Visibility Settings when selecting the nested door handle family, but that if the geometry in the actual family file had this option unchecked it affectively overrides this.

Anybody have any theories as to why this nested family can't be edited? Any similar circumstances?