See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Working in 2008!!! HELP!!!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Still Working in 2008!!! HELP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    The largest hurdle is getting everyone to understand HOW it is designed to work. Especially when you get into multiple scales and the sysvars ALLANNOVISIBLE & ANNOAUTOSCALE.
    Ha, when I forced my team to changeover and use annotative annotation I had one tech who just couldn't get their head around making the annotations appear in PS, but they could work out if they turned ALLANNOVISIBLE on they would appear..... and then give me the drawing for checking with different sized annotations all over it...

We have to train every new starter in annotative annotation as they just don't use it elsewhere (I've not even had an interviewee that uses it). I still get several scales in a lot of annotation, not sure if I should be annoyed or not. And annotative text in an non-annotative blocks has caused several headaches and I don't think they will ever work.

As ever the main benefit is saving time & ensuring consistency when editing (as KCM said). We certainly find it more useful for text rather than dimensions. I am still dubious it is worth the hissy fits & time training & correcting, but I bet some had the same thoughts when changing over to using paperspace.

My experience of contractors on site they never check other drawings to see if they tie up, if they see a dim on a drawing they take it as gospel. I actually get moaned at for not showing dimensions on drawings of a completely different service that the drawing is of. Contractors want one psychic drawing showing everything, which automatically highlights the items they are thinking of.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

2008 reference was used meaning that's how far our new project sheets date back to, very minor updates since 2008. As for KCM comments is where is see the major benefits for us are. I have only just recently learned about sheets setups, we are very old school and our files contain all information in one DWG in the model space. This is where I think bringing in annotation would be beneficial, as this would lighten up the extreme amount of text styles, dims, and blocks, right now we have 14 different sizes for one text style.

As for using dimensions as annotative I see your concerns cadtag as I totally agree with them and your philosophy. Our firm loves to over/force dimension and which leads to trouble. My thoughts are to use annotative still on the plan as it only needs to be one dimension style and keeps the standards across all drawings. As for using annotative the major part is for drawing sections and then details within the section. As of right now our firm redraws each section/details twice and then some how adds different dimension and text, to me this looks bad on our company standards.

Thanks Again for the help

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is all very interesting but I think we are all missing one very important thought here. There is no magic silver bullet that works for everyone in every case. Each environment has its own workflow and processes. Case in point I am working a new company that uses a a plotstyle that I find very confusing and limited. Do I change and learn the company standard or try to make everyone else convert to my preferred style. My preferred style is probably that because it is what I am used to. As from one dimension used once in one place is correct drafting procedure at least as I was taught, it makes sense, and is one drafting rule that I have seen violated almost everywhere. So do your best and double check and double check all revisions.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by zack_goodz99669217 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and advice!

2008 reference was used meaning that's how far our new project sheets date back to, very minor updates since 2008. As for KCM comments is where is see the major benefits for us are. I have only just recently learned about sheets setups, we are very old school and our files contain all information in one DWG in the model space. This is where I think bringing in annotation would be beneficial, as this would lighten up the extreme amount of text styles, dims, and blocks, right now we have 14 different sizes for one text style.

As for using dimensions as annotative I see your concerns cadtag as I totally agree with them and your philosophy. Our firm loves to over/force dimension and which leads to trouble. My thoughts are to use annotative still on the plan as it only needs to be one dimension style and keeps the standards across all drawings. As for using annotative the major part is for drawing sections and then details within the section. As of right now our firm redraws each section/details twice and then some how adds different dimension and text, to me this looks bad on our company standards.

Thanks Again for the help
    That's just ridiculous.

So you are probably right to go the way you are thinking of.

Login to Give a bone

We tried annotative annotation several years ago. Being everyone does their assigned task a little differently, the results were not as desired. Could this be a training issue? Yes. What ultimately ended our look into the use of annotative annotation, was any of the annotation in paper space that was not at a 1:1 scale would not display as needed since paper space limits what scale it is meant to be. The annotation just would not display. We needed to programmatically change all of the annotation to non-annotative to have them display as desired. Since then, we stay away from them.

We also only annotate in a sheet drawing with model drawings referenced in for output.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12