Thread: REVIT Model Pausing randomly - Renaming central temporarily fixes - Need long-term solution

Login to Give a bone

Default REVIT Model Pausing randomly - Renaming central temporarily fixes - Need long-term solution

I'm running Revit 2015 and I'm having an issue with Revit pausing for a moment (spinning blue circle), at random intervals between 5-30 seconds apart, for about 2-3 seconds each time. It happens when I come back to Revit from another application, zooming, rotating, starting a command, ending a command - e.g., in all circumstances I can determine. As you know, this sounds like a minor thing but it's incredibly infuriating to high-level users, and the project is starting so it needs nipped in the bud now.

I have:
    1. Purged
    2. Audited all models, central and local
    3. Deleted all local files (archived in other places) and restarted fresh.
    4. Cleared all warnings
    5. Completely removed all links

I've looked through a lot of online forums, and everything either doesn't apply, I've tried, or the thread peters out before a resolution is given.

So, here's the funny thing. In desperation, later yesterday afternoon I deleted the local file and renamed the central file via windows explorer. I just renamed adding "-0" to the end of the name. Then I opened that, everything was fine. I created a new local, good to go.

I start everything up this morning, guess what? Problem's back. In order to just continue working today, I have done the trick again and it's currently ok. However, I'm solo on this project only for a little while longer, and I'm working at a firm that is very reticent about its move to Revit. So, this definitely not a solution. Does anyone have any thoughts on why the "solution" worked, and what it may mean is the real issue, so that I can find a real fix for this?

Oh, yes, and I have opened and checked a bunch of past projects and checked their performance. Smaller projects, bigger projects, etc., all very different, all fine. It's just this model.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: REVIT Model Pausing randomly - Renaming central temporarily fixes - Need long-term solution

First, you shouldn't ever really go in an just rename a revit model. Bad things can happen.
    When you create a new Central you should delete all of your local files and back-ups along with everyone on your team (This assumes you're using a work shared model).
    Open your model detached, and audit, then save over the existing one. (Save a copy first if you want).
    That's your new central file. If that doesn't solve the problem, it lies somewhere else.

Now for the somewhere else.

First question, have you or any of your consultants, used Revit Server with any of the model files that you're touching?
    Does this happen during saves, when you picked or hovered over something or just randomly for no reason?
    What version of Revit are you using, and what service pack are you one?
    What other versions of Revit do you have installed?
    Do you any product like Clarity installed? (I've seen that one cause lots of problems)
    Is everything stored on a local network or are you trying to pull stuff across a WAN?
    What about Autocad links or Imports?
    How many warnings are you seeing?
    Was this a model that was upgraded at one point and how did you upgrade it?

Just some thoughts.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: REVIT Model Pausing randomly - Renaming central temporarily fixes - Need long-term solution

Yeah, I know renaming is naughty, but, I am getting sorta desperate. The model will be shared, I'm currently doing a conversion from AutoCAD and getting everything set up, so, currently it's just me. This was not the cause of the problem, to be clear, the problem started earlier this week. So, ignore that as the source of the problem, I just wanted to see if it could tease anything out.

Here's another clue: It's happening with some other Revit users on other projects, but not all the Revit users on those projects. Some, on those same other projects, have no problems.
    Possibly related: I've been having issues with my Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) randomly closing down when I'm navigating around both my machine and the various firm servers.
    Also possibly related: My Outlook now takes forever to send messages, and this started about the same time as the Revit issue.

On to your list:

- I just started the project, no sharing with consultants yet.
    - Not during saves, just fine there. The last two, hovering, navigating (zooming, dragging), and apparently randomly. Lots of times when I move back to Revit from working in another window.
    - 2015, we just updated the service pack to UR-9 (latest one) as a troubleshooting measure for this issue. No change.
    - No other versions of Revit installed
    - None that I'm aware of.
    - LAN. Central is on the server, Local is on my personal C: drive.
    - Removed all Links, all imports. I'm just starting up the project, so, I only had a few so I do that first thing.
    - No warnings. Just blue spinning circle of zen. I also went through and cleared all warnings, going so far as to just delete problem objects, as, again, I'm the only one in the kitchen for now.
    - Nope, no upgrades.

It has been floated here in the office that our server might just suck. Which, makes me sad. But that doesn't explain why some are having the issue and others are not.

Login to Give a bone

Silly question, do you have Hardware acceleration turned on?
    Approved Graphics card (not that that matters that much, but I've see that cause issues)
    How good of a connection do you have to the Server?
    Is your local hard drive good and empty (ie lots of room).
    How big is the file?
    Are you using lots of large groups? (a while back I had someone that was trying to model floor tiles. Yes Individual Tiles)
    How big is the cad file you have linked in. And I say linked cause I know you'd never import one right?
    You cad file is good and clean? Everything close to 0,0,0? Drawing limits aren't some insane number like 20 miles?
    Was you cad file created from a vertical platform or just 2d acad?
    One other thing you could try to take the network out of the equation. Activate worksets (if you haven't done so already), Create your new local and check out all the worksets. If everything is checked out to your local, you should be able to rule file server out of the equation since everything would be local then.
    Do you get the same results if if you save it to your desktop and try to work on it?
    Just some more thoughts. Grasping at straws, but sometimes it better to try and eliminate things and add to the problem.
    Anyone running A360?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We encounter this issue from time to time. Here is what we do:

1) Make sure no one is connected via wireless, or remotely on a VPN. This is the number one reason for the "spinning doughnut" syndrome.

2) Verify that everyone has enough free disk space, including the network drive. Recommend at least 20gb free disk space or 15% disk capacity, whichever is larger.

3) Make sure everyone is on the same Revit build.

Less likely items to check for:

4) Is the central model on the network drive, or on someone's local drive. This includes RVT, DWG, etc. links.

5) Try moving the central model to a different network drive. If you already have Revit Server in place, try there.

6) Have everyone delete the contents in their Windows %temp% folder, and then have them re-create the local model.
    Last edited by meng005; 2015-08-03 at 04:48 PM.