Thread: Career Change from Landscape Architect to BIM Technician

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Career Change from Landscape Architect to BIM Technician

Hello,

I have a masters in landscape architecture (3 year MLA) and am interested in becoming a BIM technician with the ultimate goal of being a BIM manager so I have a few questions. If I don't have an architecture degree how great would the obstacles be to becoming a manager? How helpful would my MLA and landscape firm experience be? Please advise on what steps I could take to being a BIM manager and what obstacles I'd face in particular on getting there. Could you think of any BIM specialties that would allow me to combine my landscape arch experience with BIM?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Career Change from Landscape Architect to BIM Technician

My take on the subject...

There is nothing that I can think of that directly relates from LA to BIM other than being able to "think in 3D" a skill some people don't have.
    I would assume you have cad design and drafting skills?

You need to know how buildings are built/put-together etc.

Assume you're talking REVIT, it takes A LOT of work to learn, lots of "hands on", practice and frustration.
    You should read everything you can about BIM, you-tube it, take classes if you can. An "essentials" class at a minimum would help.
    As others will tell you, it is nothing like cad, you're modeling the building and elements and it's all about view controls.
    Everything is "smart" so when set up right, you can make big changes quickly by editing the right thing.
    It is like an onion, lots and lots of layers from simple to very complex stuff to know.

I've been working with Revit for about 4 or 5 years (not full time but many projects under my belt) and I still have a lot to learn.
    There's allot to learn about editing/creating "families" and schedules that I am still learning.

Good luck with your potential career change