Thread: LISP to extract single Excel cell and plug into SETQ variable

Login to Give a bone

Default LISP to extract single Excel cell and plug into SETQ variable

Hey everyone,

I've been working on this thing for months, searching forums and trying to put together code. So far, failing miserably.

I'm trying to extract real numbers from particular cells in a simple .xls spreadsheet (or could be .csv if need be). The idea is that I could retrieve numbers from my spreadsheet of specs and plug them straight into a SETQ variable.

All my tries so far end up in error messages or in the SETQ trying to spit out every single number on the sheet.

So is this possible? Or is LISP the wrong tool to be using for this? I can post the code that I have if it would be helpful...but maybe I'm thinking of it all wrong.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: LISP to extract single Excel cell and plug into SETQ variable

Hi and welcome to AUGI,

I think you did not clarify the problem well when you said that you could have retrieved the numbers and assigned them to a variable and on the other hand you said or mentioned that you ended up with an error message .

So can you be more specific and straight to the point or even by posting an example ?

Tharwat.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Like Tharwat you have not really said how your doing it, in simple terms you read a colxrowy value from excel C5R3. Search for GETEXCEL.lsp it has examples of how to go both ways to or from Autocad. Read csv is a different method all together.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the advice. I've tried the getexcel.lsp thing before, but this time had more success. Thanks for the suggestion (and thank you, Terry Miller for the code). So I've gotten where I want to go sort of.

Now I have a 2nd part to my original question. What I really want to accomplish when this is all said and done is to insert a dynamic block and have the values pulled by getexcel from my .xls plugged into my dynamic block. My hope is to have
    A. A tool palette button or ribbon insert the dynamic block
    B. Change the "half-width" (the width x .5)
    C. Change the "depth"
    D. Exit the command

I've added Lee Mac's "SETDYNPROPVALUE" (thanks, Lee Mac) to my code to accomplish this. It gets me further down the road, but not to my destination.

So right now the attached code:

#1: Works (as in, it doesn't break)
    #2: Will change the dynamic block around with number from my excel
    #3: *But* it prompts me twice (w/ "Select dynamic block: ") and I end up picking the same block twice, once for the half-width, then once for the depth.

I'd love for this to just be a lisp that, when ran/loaded, inserted the block with the values plugged in. All my attempts to strip it down and simplify it have failed me (i.e. using entlast and similar stuff). I have attached--along with the code--a sample .xls and a sample dynamic block. (of course the path to the .xls will have to be changed in the above code to get this to work)

I hope one of you can help me trim the fat on this thing. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Many years go Autocad supplied a sample drawing called Shaft it had a corresponding excel you just change the excel value and the dwg changed automatically. Will see if I can find. Code was included.