Thread: Revit server data location

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit server data location

Hello all, I am doing some IT work for an architecture firm that utilizes Revit and is opening a branch office. I do not have a background using Revit so please forgive me if I don't get some of the terms right.
    I have their VPN up, an instance of Revit server/server administator running at their main site and instance of Revit server accelerator running at their remote site. I still need to get the RSI.ini file out there and the accelerator path set on the remote machines. I'm mainly looking for some clarification on how to best configure Revit server for them as far as data storage goes.
    Their primary office traditionally did work-sharing from a mapped drive on a file server. I installed Revit Server but did not configure that share as its' storage location. Am I to assume that I should reinstall and point the Revit server to that UNC path or can I leave it with the default location and then they would save any files to the server that they want to use from their branch office. If they save their files there I'm assuming that will break links to other resources, is that correct? Am I on the right path?
    Thank you all for any help.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit server data location

I would keep the file storage on the server where Revit Server is installed (default setting). I would refrain from using their local network drive because users may think that it is a standard Revit file, which it is not.

In addition, I recommend that you backup the project folder from the Revit Server. The RSN.ini (Revit Server Network) needs to be identical across all devices.

Login to Give a bone

Will it cause them any problems to move an existing model into the server?
    Linked files normally use absolute paths, not relative paths, correct? If that's the case then the resources should still be available.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yes. it would be better to move the Revit links from a network drive into the Revit Server. However, Revit Server only stores workshared Revit models.