See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit - Large Project

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit - Large Project

We are about to start a large school project that will be approx. 5 stories and 350,000 s.f. We are debating now how many models to divy up the project into. Our last school project albeit nowhere near this large was divided up into Architecture, Architecture Equipment Furniture, Structure, Hvac & Plumbing (one model), and Electrical. Should we divide them up into smaller models, possibly by floor or rely on getting better hardware?

Thanks in Advance
    Tom Armbruster
    A+E Group

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit - Large Project

I would split all trades.
    You may even want to pull out furniture and Arch equipment into separate models.
    Depending on how complex the exterior is, that's another option to pull.
    Mechanical (Piping and Ductwork), Plumbing and Electrical should also be separated depending on the level of complexity.
    I haven't worked an many basic schools, but most of our University buildings are all split.
    Fire Protection tends also to be it's thing.
    Furniture was usually separated due to family file size. If you're not adding all the desks and chairs as modeled families, you might be able to skip that one.
    We're just finishing up a 350ksf Hospital remodel and 200ksf addition. We separated out the All mep trades, Med Equipment, existing, new infill, existing structure, new structure and Med equipment. Model still runs but it's rather large.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Also just completed a 1.4mil sqft Pharma Process, testing and admin plant.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks that helped, also doing a hardware check, to make sure we are going to be adequate. Currently have Xeon processors with 24 gb of ram. Will this be good?

Login to Give a bone

It'll work Depending on how well it works.
    My other workstation (I'm still testing this on) has an i7 Overclocked to 4.5ghz with 32gb Ram. Scored a 106 on the 2014 Benchmark test.
    Smokes my current testing box, but this one is a little more stable.
    24Gb of ram should be Ok. I'm also running a solid state hard drive directly on the mother board so that might be helping a bit.
    That's the other reason for links and worksets, you can unload them to increase your performance.
    I would try to set it up so all your documented sheets come out of that trades model.
    You can model your furniture in one model and document it in another.
    The fewer models you're documenting things in, the better when it comes to printing and setting up view templates.
    One trick we've used for that was to create a basically blank file that holds the view templates so you can just transfer them instead of having to recreate them.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

We do this type of project a lot. Our consultants each have their own models (ie each discipline in its own model) that gets linked into the Architecture model. The key to managing all of this along with the file size is using Worksets and view templates. Our setup has each linked model on its own workset, then we subdivide in the architecture model by Interior Shell (anything not holding up the floor or the roof...partition walls, casework, interior doors, ceilings, etc), Exterior Shell (anything that is keeping the building from falling down and/or comprising the building envelope...bearing walls, exterior veneer, exterior doors and windows, roof, etc), Shared Levels and Grids (floor slabs, columns, column lines, levels), and Finishes. For very large jobs FFE is also its own model that gets linked in. On smaller jobs it's a workset in the architecture model.
    Model management is also key on this size project, so you have to be diligent about purging periodically, deleting extraneous views (especially if you have people who are "3D view happy"), and condensing your central file.

I could stop if I wanted to E-Key's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tarmbruster View Post
    Thanks that helped, also doing a hardware check, to make sure we are going to be adequate. Currently have Xeon processors with 24 gb of ram. Will this be good?
    Consider the BOXX computers of similar.

Login to Give a bone

Taking the help from home improvement team would result better.

Login to Give a bone

Not exactly sure what you're referring to, but I thought there was some great advice here.
    Also lot of practical knowledge.

Personally I would stay away from the "Boxx" systems unless you can afford them.
    You can get better results for half the price if you do a little digging.