Thread: Seeing steel beams on angle in elevation/s​ection

Login to Give a bone

Default Seeing steel beams on angle in elevation/s​ection

Hi All,

I have a problem with my steel beams - when they are on a reference plane and I cut a section/elevation through them, I can not see the member as the proper symbolic representation if my detail level is set to coarse; all I see is a single vertical line (rather than say 3 lines for a PFC). I don't have the problem if the member is flat (ie set to a datum level) but I do when it is on a reference plane, I believe this is to do with Symbolic lines only being visible perpendicular to the view, however i can not find a good way to overcome this.

I have tried drawing a model line in the family as a workaround, the problem with this is having to create a reference plane to draw the model lines - for example I can draw the reference planes and model lines at the end and middle of the beam, but if I have a section that doesn't cut through either the end or the exact middle of the beam, the model line will not show up. Another thing that I thought of and have tried, is using the sweep that creates the member profile, and setting it to view in coarse detail level. The problem with this is it then shows up as a proper member in all drawings - plan, front and side elevation, even if I untick to display in coarse for plan view & left/right view. I don't mind if I have to see the full member (rather than just 3 lines or so) but even this doesn't seem to be working how I thought it would. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Seeing steel beams on angle in elevation/s​ection

edit your steel beam family, click on the beam object in the 3D model of that family, and in the properties box adjust the settings for "visibility" and set it to show at coarse mode.
    then load that family back into your project and over-write the other family.
    problem solved

Login to Give a bone

I wish it was problem solved - I mentioned in my post that this is what I had done, but for some reason the steel member will show as a full member in my plan view, even if I untick it to show as full in "plan/rcp". I have no idea why this is occurring though....

Login to Give a bone

Option B is so change your VG override in that view template to show structural framing at a "Fine" Detail level.
    At coarse all you would see for steel framing is a point.