Thread: Moving project origin point

Login to Give a bone

Default Moving project origin point

Hi,

Brand new to revit. We had a deadline due on Thursday where I was at least able to model the waste piping for a four story office building. Unfortunately it looks like I used the copy center to center option when linking the achitectural model into my project. How can I fix it to align with the origin to origin option (which is the product standard)? Also how can I make origin to origin the "default" so that I don't accidently do this again?

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Moving project origin point

Well, I don't think you can change the default to "origin-to-origin" on linking a Revit model. I know this has been on the wishlist for some time. Perhaps in the latest release it has been fixed.

In regards to your current issue: Make sure the architect has specified coordinates in their model. This should generally be done when starting the project and is likely already set in the architectural model you have. Then in your MEP model(s) choose the "Acquire Coordinates" button on the Manage tab and select the architectural model. Now the coordinates of your model(s) are tied to the architectural model. When the architect, or other consultants, link in your MEP model(s) they should use the "By Shared Coordinates" option, NOT the "Origin-to-origin" option. And of course, never use the "Center-to-center" option~

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. They are pretty set on it having to come in on origin to origin, so it looks like I will have to redo what I've drawn so far. Oh well, some more practice for me.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If you want to save a little time you can use the copy/monitor feature in Revit to pull your work in, except that you wouldn't need to monitor - just copy. Keep a copy of your old model where you've already modeled everything and rename it. In the original delete all your work, re-link the architect's model origin-to-origin and adjust your levels etc. to match. Then link in the model you just made a copy of and renamed and line it up with the architecture. From there you can use the copy/monitor feature to select the plumbing work to bring in. Once done, remove the link.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, I'll give it a try.