See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Shared Parameter methods, and Property data

Login to Give a bone

Default Shared Parameter methods, and Property data

Hello, We've finally switched to Revit companywide, and it's been a long while since I've played in it. A few things I've always struggled with are the Parameter groupings. My ESP is not quite good enough to know what the developers were thinking when I'm trying to build a shared parameter to link data that already exists on a "View", mainly I want to display the "Associated Level" on my titleblock to be prepopulated from the View applied to the sheet, much like the "Scale" feature works OOTB.

I've created a Shared Parameter file, A company sub group, and a Property set called "Associated Level" (I took the name displayed on the Property Palette from the View in my project.)
    Discipline: Common
    Type: Family Type; View reference

I create a label, from my shared property instance, "Associated Level" in my Titleblock family

Back to my project, I use Project Parameters, attach my shared parameter to Views.

From here, the only available option on my new parameter in the View shows "View Reference".

In the attached screenshot, I can clearly see the "Extents" category showing "Associated Level: Level 1"
    And my created shared parameter, that's pretty much useless.

What seems to be missing is the ability to access property data from the "Extents" tab, but I like to think I'm just not doing it right.

Anyone out there have any suggestions of why I can't get the Level to push thru to a parameter I can use in my title block?

(Screenshot shows "Associated_Level" I've built the Shared Property with both that, and "Associated Level" but I can't help from thinking I need to access the "Extents area" of the property data, which doesn't appear available in the parameter dialogs.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jasonp; 2015-09-16 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added more info

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameter methods, and Property data

The name of your parameter doesn't really mean much. It's the parameters GUID that Revit sees. So even tough you have given your parameter the same name - they still have nothing to do with each other.

About Sheet and Title Blocks. The only parameters you can show on a title block are ones you make or Revit gives you. Revit does not give you associated Level as a parameter for your title block. Creating one with the same name does not solve this issue. Remember also that Associated Level is a property of a View, not a Sheet. A sheet has no Associated Level, that would make no sense. What's the Associated Level of an elevation?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Shared Parameter methods, and Property data

Ahh, that was the conclusion I was drawing, thank you for confirming it. I was thinking it might work like the OOTB "Scale" label, and reference the attached view on the sheet. If more than one view was available, scale simply changes to "Varies" and was hoping there was an automated way for displaying the Level as well. I thought Shared Parameters were a lot more complicated than they really are. Since originally posting this, I've been doing some testing and a lot of reading, and I realize they're just links to data fields that would normally not be available to a project.

Thanks for confirming what I was assuming!