Thread: Complex residential roof issues

Login to Give a bone

Question Complex residential roof issues

I have a roof above a garage at the first level of a house and this garage has a dormer (of sorts). the problem is, the roof slopes towards the second level walls of the house but stops below the level of the peak of the dormer. I can't use the dormer tool for this reason, and I've tried also making an extruded roof and joining them - which works, but leaves me the extruded roof geometry INSIDE the garage/house, so then in sections it would just be awful modelling. I also need the main roof to have a somewhat decorative soffit extending into the dormer wall elevation and the way I've done it currently I can't get that result.

I also have a second problem with the main roof. Between the large dormers on the main roof the roof has a notch. the overhang for the whole roof is 12" and there should be a gutter all around the front and the sides of the notch. However, due to the nature of revit footprint roofs, that notch then has a slightly higher eave height than the front of the roof and I can't put the gutter on the sides that return in to the notch.
    If that makes no sense, check out the attachments.
    (all in all, I think they've fudged the CAD file to make it look nice, and I am not sure if it is actually possible to build - I would appreciate the opinion of someone with more residential experience on that one)

So, I'm lost. I'm no roof expert, however I've been learning rapidly while trying to cobble together this roof for a client and it's quite amazing what you can manipulate.

I've attached a CAD file of what I need the roofs to look like, as well as a basic revit model of what I have so far as the roof goes. (The revit file is in a .zip file)
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Complex residential roof issues

Something like this? Take a look at the enclosed file.

TestRoof3.rvt

Login to Give a bone

yes.
    I'm deconstructing how you did this currently.
    So far, I can see how you did the lower roof. I tried that method early on and something didn't work... clearly I didn't try hard enough.
    As for the higher roof, you didn't do the dormers as dormers I see... I don't know why I didn't try that. Is that why the eave on the set back portion between the dormers is at the same level as everything?
    I have a lot to learn about roofs...
    thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by emodderman View Post
    Is that why the eave on the set back portion between the dormers is at the same level as everything?
    There was no slope assigned to these three edges.

Capture.JPG

Login to Give a bone

I managed to recreate both roofs. I jumped right to the complicated method of adding dormers to the pitched roof... I didn't need to do that. I see what happens this way. so much easier.
    Thanks so much!