Thread: Best approach to modified structures and pipes.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Best approach to modified structures and pipes.

I've been experimenting my way around in partbuilder and parts lists to see what I can make for my cad design needs in my location. I was wondering what is the best approach to storing modified structures and pipes such that they would be available to other users in my local network and also survive future software upgrades. Do I spin off my own company parts catalog or add then to one of the existing ones? Do I move the catalog to a central network location or does it need to be duplicated to each machine? I've also had to edit the AeccPartParamCFG.xml and add an expression or two to get some of my new part parameters to work and be available for labeling, do I need to move that xml to a central location as well?

I've been doing my experimenting with an off-site machine running C3D 2016. I used that machine to make the the things I needed and tested them in a test drawing file. When I open that file with an on-site machine running C3D 2015 they work fine so the functional properties of the modifications appear to be going with the drawing file they were used in. However, the on-site machine can't make any further modifications to the structure/pipe via partbuilder, edit the value of a custom parameter or edit an expression that uses a custom parameter.

And so, I'm asking how others are making this customization work in a multi-user environment.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best approach to modified structures and pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by MMccall View Post
    I've been experimenting my way around in partbuilder and parts lists to see what I can make for my cad design needs in my location. I was wondering what is the best approach to storing modified structures and pipes such that they would be available to other users in my local network and also survive future software upgrades. Do I spin off my own company parts catalog or add then to one of the existing ones? Do I move the catalog to a central network location or does it need to be duplicated to each machine? I've also had to edit the AeccPartParamCFG.xml and add an expression or two to get some of my new part parameters to work and be available for labeling, do I need to move that xml to a central location as well?

I've been doing my experimenting with an off-site machine running C3D 2016. I used that machine to make the the things I needed and tested them in a test drawing file. When I open that file with an on-site machine running C3D 2015 they work fine so the functional properties of the modifications appear to be going with the drawing file they were used in. However, the on-site machine can't make any further modifications to the structure/pipe via partbuilder, edit the value of a custom parameter or edit an expression that uses a custom parameter.

And so, I'm asking how others are making this customization work in a multi-user environment.
    If you want them shared, you will need to place them in a network location that all machines can access. You will also need to modify the location specified at each machine to point to the network location. If this is not done, adding parts to a part list will not work as expected.

You should also add a new chapter to your parts catalog to contain your modified parts.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best approach to modified structures and pipes.

Thank you for the reply and input. I'll look into creating a new chapter for my custom parts.

I'm rethinking the new parameter I added for my customized part. I may change it so it uses one of the other shared part parameters that already exist within the part group that aren't used in this particular part. (ie: use frame diameter to control the front to back position of a square frame and the barrel height to control the height of the frames curb section)