Thread: Layer State turns of layers in PS

Login to Give a bone

Default Layer State turns of layers in PS

I have a base file with saved Layer States, which are applied just prior to creating a Named Views. Sot far, I have one (plan) file that contains demolition layers, and existing condition layers, and I have used these layers to establish Plans and RCP Views to place on sheets. Using sheet set manager I have created a sheet, and placed a named view on the sheet (layout). Due to various issues, I have found myself deleting sheet DWG files and recreating sheets. During this process, I have been experiencing problems, and I am getting frustrated and confused working with Layer States and Views, and Sheet sets.

Sometimes, when placing views on sheets the XREF displays layers that are not set to "ON" in Named View, and sometimes it does what I expect it to. When it doesn't, I activate the viewport (click inside it) and use layer state manager to apply the desired layer settings (which are in the XREF). When I restore the XREF Layer State it turns off layers that are unique to the sheet (i.e. Titleblock information layers). Not sure why. I also find that when I modify the XREF, and reload it, the sheet file sometimes loses the Layer state settings. At this point... I am close to walking off the job.
    (Disclosure: I left AutoCAD for Revit, but professional opportunities have reunited me with AutoCAD. it is a Love/Hate relationship - the firm loves AutoCAD, and I just about hate it )

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Or have some tips regarding the above?

TIA,
    MM

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer State turns of layers in PS

By default named views save layer snapshot with view unless you uncheck that in settings.
    Are you using model space or paper space views? While in model space in a layout viewport restoring a layer state by default will Apply properties as viewport overrides, but you need to check the Restore options. By default Turn off layers not found in layer state is checked as well, but I always uncheck it.

I would advise always using the Layer States Manager as selecting layer states from the drop down ribbon control doesn't offer any control of Restore options and may be what caused your problems.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Tom.

FWIW I was using LAS to establish the layers I wanted (kind of as a "working" or "setup" stage), and did leave the "layer snapshot" checked when making views. I am still learning how to use both Layer States and Views, and I think there are times when the two are working against one another (in Viewports placed on sheet layouts). Knowing me, I am overthinking it...and gotten myself confused.

Unchecking "turn layers off not found in layer state" did the trick. I'll have to think more about that setting as I get deeper into the project.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    Thanks, Tom.

FWIW I was using LAS to establish the layers I wanted (kind of as a "working" or "setup" stage), and did leave the "layer snapshot" checked when making views. I am still learning how to use both Layer States and Views, and I think there are times when the two are working against one another (in Viewports placed on sheet layouts). Knowing me, I am overthinking it...and gotten myself confused.

Unchecking "turn layers off not found in layer state" did the trick. I'll have to think more about that setting as I get deeper into the project.
    I added the following lines to my acaddoc.lsp file to uncheck "turn layers off not found in layer state" each time I open a drawing:
    Code:
    (vl-registry-write (strcat "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\" (vlax-product-key) "\\Profiles\\<<C3D_Imperial>>\\Dialogs\\AcLayerApps:LayerStatesManager") "LayerNotFound" "0")
    ; Layer States Manager - Do not turn off layers not found in layer state
    Sadly AutoCAD does not save these settings.

Login to Give a bone

[/CODE] Sadly AutoCAD does not save these settings.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tom, that may no longer be true....at least in AutoCAD 2016. I toggled that off, and have closed, restarted AutoCAD and the toggle is still off; and is so in multiple drawings.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
    [/CODE] Sadly AutoCAD does not save these settings.
    Hey Tom, that may no longer be true....at least in AutoCAD 2016. I toggled that off, and have closed, restarted AutoCAD and the toggle is still off; and is so in multiple drawings.[/QUOTE]

Actually it does in 2015 as well. Thinking back I added that to make sure it was unchecked. All of my Layer States are for modifying a specific group of layers and I only want layers in the Layer State to be modified.

Login to Give a bone

Hi, I don't know if this will help, but the VISRETAIN setting comes to mind. If set to zero(0) your external reference layers will revert to the way they are in the xref. If set to 1, your current drawing will hold any layer changes to your references. Hopefully I am not too off base and missing the point.

Login to Give a bone

I appreciate the input, pmedina. I don't think VISRETAIN is the problem; I will check, but believe it is already set to 1. The issue is related to the Layer State Manager - and how I am using it. It is quite possibly I am not using it correctly. What happens is I activate a VP on my layout, and I RESTORE a layer state found in the Xref; with the box checked to "turn off layers not found in layer state". In my case, the annotation layers used on the sheet file (layout) are subsequently turned off - which means I have to turn them back on before I print. Or, as Tom Beauford suggested, I can uncheck that box and those annotation layers will remain turned on. The problem is, this project is a work in progress, so that particular toggle works against my desires to be able to control the way the VP looks on the sheet.