See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Revit 2016 - Recent issues with crashing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2016 - Recent issues with crashing.

I am the BIM Manager for a firm with appx 60 Revit seats. We have been using Revit since 2008 and have had almost no issues with stability besides little issues here and there.

About two weeks ago the entire office started having issues where Revit will crash and give a blank error message. Due to the company wide issue, I know that it is not a project specific issue (corrupted central, bloated central, etc).

The only two things that seem like possibilities are as follows:
    1) Something is going on with our network/server (possibly file backups causing Revit to hang while trying to query the central file or something similar).
    2) A recent windows update is causing havoc with Revit 2016.

If #2 is true, then I would expect others are having the same or similar issues. That is where you all come in! Anyone else start having issues with Revit 2016 crashing in the last few weeks? If not, anyone have any ideas on where I should start (given the limited information I have provided)?

(Thanks in advance)

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2016 - Recent issues with crashing.

A good place to start is always the Journal files.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...6C48D-htm.html

These are Text files that document everything that occurs during a Revit session. There's a good chance they will document what is being processed when Revit crashes. If it's difficult to find something specific, then you may find similarities between the journal files on different machines that have crashed.

Login to Give a bone

We have around 40 users here and most of them started to have crashing issue in the past 2 weeks.
    Now pretty much everybody is crashing sometimes and the issue does not always occur when using the same function in Revit. Some users can't even open Revit now.
    Before reading your post, I had the exact same idea on the 2 possible reasons this is happenning and like you I have been working since release 2008 and never had stability issue with Revit.

Any news or answers on why and how to solve this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    A good place to start is always the Journal files.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...6C48D-htm.html

These are Text files that document everything that occurs during a Revit session. There's a good chance they will document what is being processed when Revit crashes. If it's difficult to find something specific, then you may find similarities between the journal files on different machines that have crashed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by guiom73359298 View Post
    Any news or answers on why and how to solve this ?
    Update: I have had minimal success on my end. I have a ticket open with Autodesk right now and they are looking into our issues.

Here is a list of things I have tried so far:
    -Checked Windows Event Viewer - Simply shows NTDLL.DLL as the crashing module which doesn't really narrow it down at all.
    -Checked Revit Journal Files - No common denominator in terms of what Revit is doing when it crashes.
    -I have updated BIOS, Graphics Card drivers (both to certified and to newest), .Net 4.6, Intel Chipset drivers, Windows Updates, Disabling WSCommCtr, Clearing out the local folder/windows temp files/etc.
    -I have disabled all addons.
    -I have run fresh computers with ONLY Revit 2016 installed to eliminate any possibility of other programs causing the issue.

Strangely, there have been a select few who responded very well to the computer updates. There were a few users who were crashing every 15 minutes that went to once a day after the updates. Unfortunately, they were the exception to the rule. Most users are still having issues. I will update this thread when I hear back from Autodesk today.

Login to Give a bone

Update: I have some very good news! It seems we have fixed our issue.

We use a software called PCS Print Director. It uses a module called PrintAudit6. It basically logs prints to jobs so that we can track our print usage.
    I happened upon a post where users were crashing and found out that it was PrintAudit6 that was the issue.
    Upon removal of PCS Print Director (which also removed PrintAudit6) the crashing issue stopped.

So, why did we all start crashing on the 19th of October? It seems that we had some Windows Updates get pushed out that day. My best guess is that one of the updates modified a file that PrintAudit6 relied upon.

So check to see if you are running any print software and remove it on a single to computer for testing. Hope this helps!

Login to Give a bone

It seems we also found the same answer and testing it. So far after updating Print Audit software, we stop crashing on all computers.

Yéiii.

Thanks for the follow up.